Lounger
    Thanks

Question Computer won't recognize USB HDD anymore

I have a Win 7 computer and have been using a Hitachi 500GB USB drive for backups. Over the last month, the computer seemed to lose and regain the connection to this drive fairly often (got the "USB beep" and the "autoplay" pop-up). Yesterday I unplugged this drive and attached it to a different computer to back that one up, which worked fine, and then tried to plug it back into the original computer. No matter which USB port I try, the computer does not see this drive anymore. I can plug a different USB stick into the same ports and they show up fine. I can take the 500GB drive and plug it into the other computer and it shows up fine. The light indicating that power is flowing to the drive is on, so I know that is not the problem.

Any suggestions?
    Mike
    I can always use good information

Thanks
    Power off the computer for two to three minutes, restart, then re-attempt connection.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-11-20 at 08:49. Reason: spelling

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mricks01 View Post
    The light indicating that power is flowing to the drive is on, so I know that is not the problem.

Any suggestions?
    mricks,
    Hello...Start with the simple first..

1. Try a different cable... You may be delivering power ...but no data.

2. When attached ...what does It show in "Windows Explorer" ...does it show up as an "?"

3. Look in "Disk Management" and see if it shows ...maybe just the drive letter is gone missing. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I feel a little foolish; I found the problem (in a way), but I do not know why it is occurring. When I plug this drive into one of the USB ports on the back panel of the computer it seems to work fine. I was trying to plug it into a USB port on the front panel, where all the SSD memory sticks I use get plugged in, and they all work fine there. When you plug in the Hitachi drive there though, you can hear that it doesn't spin-up, just makes little noises like the head is seeking. Is it some kind of power deficiency, that doesn't affect SSD drives?

To answer your questions - cable makes no difference; doesn't show anything in Win Explorer or Disk management.
    Mike
    I can always use good information

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mricks01 View Post
    When I plug this drive into one of the USB ports on the back panel of the computer it seems to work fine.
    Hello...I guess that you answered you own question... The front panel USB port has a intermittent connection ... the HD (just a guess) needs a pin or two more than the SSD's... No "Data" reading..for the HD's If your a "techie" you could replace them... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)