5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question about some W7 files/folders

What is C:\Recovery used for (please don't say "recovery")? It takes 1.6 gigs on my system; and I religiously take Images. So, why do I need it?

Similarly, what is C:\Windows\Installer used for? It takes 1.7 gigs; and, again, why do I need it with
    system images?

Thanks for shedding light on this question,
    Dick

PS,
    Bottom-line, I guess my question is: will W7 run without these folders/files?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    You should not touch the Installer folder or you will lose any ability to uninstall or repair any of the installed apps on your system. If you want to remove anything there that can be removed without issues, take a look here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/heaths/archi...d-patches.aspx.

The Recovery folder is used when you use the advanced recovery options from a boot menu. To save 1.6 gigs I would say you should not mess with it.

Frankly speaking, 3 GBs are peanuts when considering current disk sizes. It is not worth the bother to mess with System files and folders, actually.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    ruirib beat me to it, but to add further to his comment:

How large is your hard dive and how much free space do you have? If anything above 320GB, then you are worrying about <1% of your drive space.

Using a disk viewer app such as Scanner by Steffen Gerlach, gives a really useful expanded pie chart representation of the disk being examined. You can very quickly focus on what is consuming drive space and can navigate up and down the folder levels with great ease.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2011-11-19 at 10:57.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all:
    I don't need the space. I was curious (gets me in trouble sometimes, which is why I take images often).
    This time, I thought I'd ask first, before mucking about in Windows.
    I appreciate your clear explanations.
    I'll leave well-enough alone.
    Best,
    Dick