New Lounger
    Thanks

Formatting HDD for W7 now used for Linux

I have a W7 (64 bit) Dell computer on which I installed a second HDD onto which I installed a version of Linux. I would like to abandon Linux and reformat the drive (SATA) for W7. But Control Panel doesn't "see" it; System Tools/System Information however does. Is there any way I can format this drive so that I can use it for W7? Thanks.

Thanks
    Does Disk Management see it?

Try diskmgmt.msc from the start/search box.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, it does, using the Administrator login. It shows the various partitions. Can I use it to reformat the drive?

Thanks
    Yes.

Right click on each partition and select delete and then reformat/repartition as you require.

There is a possibility that Windows won't recognise one or more of the partitions and not allow you to delete them. In that case you will need to use a 3rd party program which I'm sure one of the regulars will post a link to shortly. I personally can't recommend one as Disk Management has always worked for me.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Once you delete the partitions if you are allowed then right click on the drive label on the left (all in disk management) and see if it will let you convert to mbr disk. Then partition and format again.

If not allowed to do any of those steps then I like to go LINUX on LINUX, using Parted Magic (Gparted) to delete the parttions and write the dos/mbr partition table.

Thanks
    You should also be able to use a 3rd party partitioning app such as Partition Wizard if Disk Management does not work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I would do it just like I've been doing it for ..... (oh so many years)

I'd make sure the drive to be formatted was the only drive connected to my motherboard, just for safety.
    Then I'd boot up the PC with my DOS Utilities CD and run FDISK, to first remove all partitions and then to create just one partition for the new OS. Then when Win-7 installs it will format the drive to its own liking. That is also the way that I suggest that Win-8 DP be installed.

I've installed Win-8 DP three times so far and the above method is what works best. Installers that see another OS, can get really wonky!

Good Luck,
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After making a complete backup of my C: drive, I deleted the partitions (or volumes) with Disk Management and then followed the Wizard to reformat. It worked, it worked, its a miracle! Now I have a new E: drive. Thanks for the help!