Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot use Outlook 2010 - I think I've deleted some file by mistake

I need your help here. I've installed Outlook 2010 after formatting my PC, then deleted it because of connection problems to Gmail. I've tried to install it again, but all my previous Gmail accounts setup have been saved(and thus I couldn't use Outlook for Gmail), so I deleted it again, but this time, thinking that it will solve the problem, I've also manually deleted some Outlook files that weren't deleted after uninstalling.
    I've tried again to install Outlook, but now when I try to open it I get this error message: "The file c:\users\username\documents\outlook files\outlook.pst is not found".

Did I ruin Outlook on my PC by myself? is there any way to fix this?

TIA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    When that happens, doesn't the app offers you the option to choose the location of the file?

Thanks
    Well, the profile and account settings apparently remained in the registry, and pointed to your email file as being at that location. If you didn't have any data in the file, Outlook might just create you a new one. If you did have data in it, you probably want to undelete it.

To bypass the settings in your existing profile, you could try creating a new one. Close Outlook and use the Mail control panel.

Or, to fully remove all Outlook settings, you might need a supplemental tool from Microsoft; I think they create one for each version, but I haven't searched for it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Well, the profile and account settings apparently remained in the registry, and pointed to your email file as being at that location. If you didn't have any data in the file, Outlook might just create you a new one. If you did have data in it, you probably want to undelete it. To bypass the settings in your existing profile, you could try creating a new one. Close Outlook and use the Mail control panel. Or, to fully remove all Outlook settings, you might need a supplemental tool from Microsoft; I think they create one for each version, but I haven't searched for it.
    Where is this mail control panel?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rfe777 View Post
    Where is this mail control panel?
    It is among the Windows control panels. I've customized Windows 7 to be more XP-like, so I'm not sure where it is in the default configuration.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I'm going to again uninstall outlook 2010. Is there any tool from Microsoft that helps to completely remove any remaining files?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    It is among the Windows control panels. I've customized Windows 7 to be more XP-like, so I'm not sure where it is in the default configuration.
    Start -> Control Panel -> Mail (32-bit)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've uninstalled Outlook, and Office 2010 as well. Apparently there are some Outlook files that cannot be deleted(even manually) unless you delete Office. I'll install everything back and hopefully everything will be fixed

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rfe777 View Post
    OK, I'm going to again uninstall outlook 2010. Is there any tool from Microsoft that helps to completely remove any remaining files?
    It appears they pulled it down due to problems it could cause. You might need to use the "manual" instructions in this article to root out all the settings: How to uninstall or remove Microsoft Office 2010 suites