Thread: Waterfox 8.01

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Waterfox 8.01

If you are using Firefox and have a 64 bit OS, you can now try a 64 bit Firefox clone called Waterfox.
    It has had its files optimized for 64 bit. You can download it here: http://waterfoxproj.sourceforge.net/downloads

You will also need the 64 bit version of the 2010 Visual C++ runtime also available at the above link. Included with the above link are plugin links you may want to use. If you use Flash player, you will need to install the 64 bit version. Otherwise, your Firefox plugins and add ons should all still work.

Waterfox uses your Firefox profile so you will not have 2 separate profiles. My only caveat was having to install the runtime libraries. I have not noticed a lot of difference yet with this and am interested to see what others think. One flash app loaded noticeably faster.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried it and could see no difference in performance over Firefox 8 whatsoever. In fact even more add-ons don't work. So now un-installed it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousclive For This Useful Post:

Kenny555 (2011-12-02)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Same here.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All of my addons and plugins are the same in Firefox and Waterfox. I have not really seen much of a change in browsing speed. The makers of Pale Moon, another Firefox clone say not too expect too much, but there may be a decrease in CPU usage due to the 64 bit coding. Thanks for the replys.