Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    mart44
    I see a lot of analogies written and wish they would work for me. I can see your point up until where Windows 7 is compared to a car. They are as different as chalk and cheese to me. It's like saying ...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Poltor View Post
    7 also starts programs for me when I am not in the room! These can be Calculator, Thunderbird, My Computer to name but three.
    The thing which this brings to mind for me is that these programs - calculator, email and Computer - are all programs that are *very* common for the shortcut keys on the keyboard to run. Do you by any chance have anything which might be pressing those keys while you're away? (For example, a cat who might be walking on the keyboard?)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    Yes, that's where I have mine set also. However, there are some programs that still need to be given permission to run every time. One example is Foxit pdf reader, among others.
    Foxit should not need admin permission to run, at all. If it does, then something is very wrong. (Admin permission should only be given to programs that actually require it to do their job.)

You said in a later reply that you have the "Run this program as an administrator" checkbox on the Security tab enabled. This will not stop the UAC prompts at all; in fact, it'll cause Windows to pop up the UAC prompt every time you run it!

(Regarding my thoughts on UAC: I actually do something very unusual and have my UAC setting turned *up* from the default, not down, so that the prompt occurs on everything that needs administrator permission, even things that I do myself. The point of UAC is not to save me from myself, but to save my computer from malware, and to me, the extra bother is worth it, especially as I don't just click "Yes" every time the dialog comes up; I make sure that it's something I need. If I run a program that doesn't require admin permission, but it asks for it anyway, I click "No" and start worrying. I do understand that this is not for everybody, though.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophira View Post
    Foxit should not need admin permission to run, at all. If it does, then something is very wrong. (Admin permission should only be given to programs that actually require it to do their job.)

You said in a later reply that you have the "Run this program as an administrator" checkbox on the Security tab enabled. This will not stop the UAC prompts at all; in fact, it'll cause Windows to pop up the UAC prompt every time you run it!

(Regarding my thoughts on UAC: I actually do something very unusual and have my UAC setting turned *up* from the default, not down, so that the prompt occurs on everything that needs administrator permission, even things that I do myself. The point of UAC is not to save me from myself, but to save my computer from malware, and to me, the extra bother is worth it, especially as I don't just click "Yes" every time the dialog comes up; I make sure that it's something I need. If I run a program that doesn't require admin permission, but it asks for it anyway, I click "No" and start worrying. I do understand that this is not for everybody, though.)
    You are right. Foxit doesn't need to be run as an administrator. In have no idea why I was doing that. However, there are some programs that have to be run as an administrator to work properly. One example is Autoruns. If it isn't running as an administrator, you can't make changes to startup programs.

There are some programs that require permission regardless of whether they are run as an administrator or not. One example is the "Everything" search progarm.

Back to my original point, and that of the original poster: Microsoft could make things easier for the end user. In this case, once a program gets permission to run, that permission should stay in effect unless the program changes. Several firewall programs do this, and it should be fairly easy for Microsoft to program this feature into UAC.

It will be interesting to see how Windows 8 will work in this regard.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just started using W7 about 6 weeks ago, and though I'm not a beginner, I'm not exactly a geek, either. I started using "take ownership" when I got my first Vista machine, because of the annoying inability to make the OS look the way I wanted it to, as I had freely done with XP. One of the first things I did when I got my W7 machine was to install "take ownership". So I am Really intrigued by your comments referring to installing the "classic shell", and also your W7 tune up package. Please tell me, what is the "classic shell", where does one get it, and what does it do? Also, I did visit your web site, and saw your W7 tune-up package and have downloaded it, but ... what the h is a .rar program, what does it open with, and what are the tweaks found in it??? Thanks.
    Bill

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    .rar is a archiving format; similar to zip files if you know that format. I use WinRar for all my .rar needs but I'm sure many other file packaging programs handle the rar format.

Classic Shell adds\changes some of the interface features of explorer.

Thanks
    7-Zip is my archiving choice.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234