Thanks

Auto-Purge IMAP Accounts?

With POP accounts, if I deleted some message, it went to the Deleted Items folder and "disappeared fro the original folder. In IMAP, it gets a line drawn through it until I change folders or some such.

Is there a way to have deleted items go immediately to the Deleted folder and be removed totally from the original listing folder -- I suspect I mean automatically purged?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Since your local copy is a mirror of the mail server you may need to synch with the mail host to get your updates reflected on the server and locally.

Joe

Thanks
    Ah, okay. Thanks Joe.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    A Google search turned up a setting you could consider: How to Purge Deleted Messages Automatically in Outlook - About Email.

Thanks
    Yea Jefferson, thanks. You [I] can come close, but never quite get the same set of response steps that POP gives, where it just goes to the deleted items folder. Small quibble I suppose.

Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    You [I] can come close, but never quite get the same set of response steps that POP gives, where it just goes to the deleted items folder. Small quibble I suppose.
    I don't mind purging them in an extra step, but then again, I don't mind clutter.

I think the IMAP protocol was designed in an age when constant connectivity was a luxury, so it was designed to do server updates in a batch. Times have changed...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    I don't mind purging them in an extra step, but then again, I don't mind clutter.

I think the IMAP protocol was designed in an age when constant connectivity was a luxury, so it was designed to do server updates in a batch. Times have changed...
    I don't either really, Jefferson. I just sometimes I suppose go looking for that "single step solution."

Chuck

Thanks
    Hi Chuck,

This is how my POP is set in WLM (Iknow your not using it)

RR.jpg
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    RR, as you brought up WLM...

I use an add-on with Outlook, Nelson Email Organizer, which I *highly* recommend -- and we were just recently able to resolve a "count" issue -- Outlook, for instance, would show 13, 876 total messages, and NEO was showing numbers like 11,722 -- numbers WAY off. There was no seeming answer for this, until another user reported the same problem -- and we both were importing from WLM.

Come to find out that -- and granted, I'm not at all technically conversant on this -- that there is something "different" about the way WLM headers are constructed, so that NEO couldn't "see" them -- even though it reads fine from Outlook, and Outlook reads WLM counts. Once we removed those imported from WLM, the counts matched perfectly.

That, coupled with my being a new user of IMAP in Outlook -- not totally, but for the most part -- started this whole search for me. I started trying to both understand and get a grip on how the counts work and what controls what. I figured that if I started using IMAP, I wouldn't really need an intermediate client if Outlook was "down" for one reason or another. I would just use the 1and1 web mail, and then set Outlook to IMAP status, and all would "sync."

In the process, I noticed and then got caught up in trying to better controlo the IMAP / deleted issues.

Chuck

Thanks
    Maybe NEO was not including deleted items.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    No, it has to do somehow with the header info from WLM. New mail, old mail, deleted mail...didn't matter.

Chuck