Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium Reflect-which source drives to image

I am using the free version 5. I am unsure which drives I want to copy.I would be using this image to restore a usable copy of my computer if I needed to go back to a previous working date.I am a novice.
    Macrium.PNG

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rothie View Post
    I am using the free version 5. I am unsure which drives I want to copy.I would be using this image to restore a usable copy of my computer if I needed to go back to a previous working date.
    Rothie,
    Hello... You want to copy the whole Hard drive ...The Y: is your "Factory" recovery partition , and the C: is your operating system ... not sure what the small first partition is ...Here is my reasoning

1. If you copy the entire drive with the 3 partitions ...You could select any one partition to "Recover" or the whole thing ...choice would be up to you...

2. Once you have the whole disk Image ... you can then from that point just Image the C: ( your OS ) and keep a few as you go on ...Deleting the old ones after a while ...Most save at least 3 of about a months worth.

3. Save the Images to an External or second Internal HD if possible ... External would be the best ... You can even save the Images to DVD's... although not the best choice .Reason being ...Looks like you only have one HD and if you store the "Images" on the same drive your trying to protect ....When it goes "belly up" you would loose your Images... Regards Fred

PS make sure that you "burn " the recovery disk and that you can "boot" from it...And it "Sees" your images.
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-11-22 at 14:35.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you,Fred.That 1st partion is a Dell utility-I don't know if it is useful or not.I made an image including all 3 partitions to my external hard drive.This image nevert gets deleted.If I am understanding you correctly,I just need to make an image of the 'C' partition from now on,eliminating old copies as I need space to make new images.I think this is all I would want to reinstall if I need a previous copy of my operating system.When would I use the recovery partition of the image I just created?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would add one more thing to Fred' helpful response:

After you burn the Recovery disk, TEST IT.

Quite a while ago, a Lounge responder made that suggestion to a questioner.

I decided to test my recovery disk, even though I didn't have any problems.

It didn't work on my system; so I changed to Macrium.
    Macrium's recovery disk worked like a charm on my system; and the working recovery disk
    has helped me countless times. (I like to "play" and try things on my system, and sometimes
    get myself in trouble. I can recover from an image in about 10 minutes.)

Bottom_line: make a recovery disk, and test it; before you really need it.

Dick

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    .When would I use the recovery partition of the image I just created?
    Rothie,
    The Factory Recovery partition is your "Just out of the Box" Image ....Say at some point you want to give your PC away to someone ...you could then restore the PC to the like new "out of the box".. protecting your old data from anyone else.Most PC users do not "Image" and will use the "Factory Recovery" as their fail safe... That is until they realize that they then have to re-install everything... After you create the Whole Disk Image ,...you then can delete that Y: recovery partition and add the space to your OS or keep it for "Data" etc. Regards Fred

PS in case Macrium V 5 won't make a usable boot disk try Version 4.2.3638 (from File Hippo)
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred and Dick-Y-
    Excellent info on the factory recovery.
    I made the Linux recovery CD,but I am unsure of how to see if it is bootable.I powered down my PC,put the CD in the tray,and powered my PC back up.It just came up to my Win7 desktop like it normally would.Is this a problem with the recovery disk,or is this a problem with the way I am trying to use it?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I made the Linux recovery CD,but I am unsure of how to see if it is bootable.I powered down my PC,put the CD in the tray,and powered my PC back up.It just came up to my Win7 desktop like it normally would.Is this a problem with the recovery disk,or is this a problem with the way I am trying to use it?
    Rothie,
    Hello....You might have to set your "BIOS" to boot from your CD\DVD first... You enter BIOS from the splash screen when booting...On my OS you enter BIOS by "hitting" "F-10" BIOS Configure or "Esc" for "Boot Menu", may be different on your PC ...You want to get to "Configure" or "Settings" you then navigate( up down arrows and Enter) to the appropriate screen and set the CD group as first. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Lounger
    Thanks
    OK I got to the part where it says its going to use the Macrium Rescue disk.Then it asks me to pick my computer(or network where the image is located).My image should be on my external drive.I don't see this on the list under "C",and I do have my external drive powered up. It shows 3 Dell options and the boot CD.Does this mead I have to use the other Version 4.2.3638 (from File Hippo)?
    Do I remove version 5 and then dowload version 4 from FileHippo? Do I have to make a new image using version 4 or will the image from version 5 still be good?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    OK I got to the part where it says its going to use the Macrium Rescue disk.Then it asks me to pick my computer(or network where the image is located).My image should be on my external drive.I don't see this on the list under "C",and I do have my external drive powered up. It shows 3 Dell options and the boot CD.Does this mead I have to use the other Version 4.2.3638 (from File Hippo)?
    Do I remove version 5 and then dowload version 4 from FileHippo? Do I have to make a new image using version 4 or will the image from version 5 still be good?
    Rothie,
    Hello..
    1. Yes... you need to have your HD where the image is located powered up (if it's external) for Macrium to "See" it...

2. If you can boot the Macrium Program from the recovery disk that you made...stick with that "Version".

3. If you have to install Version 4.2.3638 (only if your V-5 ) recovery disk won't boot into Macrium ...Then "Uninstall" V 5 using it's own "removal tool"

4. Yes you should always make the recovery disk for the version that you are running.. Note... i have used the 4.2.3638 disk to boot into Version 5 .. But don't think i would completely trust it without further experimenting. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred-
    I have my external drive powered up,but I don't see it when I try to boot from the Macrium Linux CD.Hopefully I am attaching pictures of the boot from CD process.
    001a.jpg002a.jpg003a.jpg004a.jpg

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I have my external drive powered up,but I don't see it when I try to boot from the Macrium Linux CD.Hopefully I am attaching pictures of the boot from CD process.
    Rothie,
    Hello...You have to select (click on ) the options presented to see them (ie Expand click the +) Regards Fred

PS: Linux will choose drive letters that will be different than the ones that you or Windows assigns.
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-11-23 at 05:21.
    PlainFred