New Lounger
    Thanks

Advice for SQL 2000 upgrade

I have an older phone system that we are upgrading.....SQL 2000 standard to SQL 2005 standard. Besides backing up the database, is there any potential problems I should be aware of beforehand?

Thanks!

Jon

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Pardon me for asking but why in the world would you only upgrade to SQL Server 2005?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Excellent question! It's for a 911 phone system and SQL 2005 is the lastest version to be certified....should be just like upgrading any other software I would guess, but hate to assume....

Administrator
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe....will give me some reading for this weekend. Will let you know how it goes next week.

Jon

Administrator
    Thanks
    Good luck!! Between turkey and this "light" reading you should be snoozing a good part of the weekend.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Let me throw in my 2 cents. I work with both, and 2005 and 2008 are both pretty darn stable, but I find 2008 a bit better in that regard. It's a shame it takes that long to get it certified - the original RTM was in August of 2008, and R2 was released in April of 2010. In addition, Mainstream Technical Support ended in April of 2011, although paid support is available until 2016. I just went through a problem that was potentially a SQL Server 2005 problem and dealt with the MS team in India. They were helpful, but the problem turned out to be an networking issue with Win7.

One significant point should be made - if you upgrade by doing a restore from a backup of your 2000 database, you cannot easily go backwards should you need/wish to. A backup of 2005 or 2008 cannot be restored to a 2000 instance. To revert to 2000 requires scripting your entire database and the importing the data from the tables. It can be done, but it's no fun.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    WendellB, trust me...I asked the same questions. Unfortunately it's to a level 1 tech and they typically don't know or care. I am planning on backing up the db to an external source before upgrading, thus giving me a fall back should things go awry. Thanks for the .02 though!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, all went about as well as could be imagined. Didn't need most of the info you sent, but it was some quality reading!

Thanks

Jon

Administrator
    Thanks
    Great!! Glad it worked out. Thanks for posting back.

Joe