Lounger
    Thanks

Access Limitations? (2000-SR1)

We are preparing a proposal for a client who requires that a custom written DOS restaurant system be rewritten in a more up to date environment. We are considering developing the app in Access 2000 with VBA code. Several initial questions come to mind and I hope that one of you Access gurus can answer them. Here goes:

1 - Are there any practical limitations for the number of forms that can be contained within an mdb file? We are looking at somewhere in the 100-150 DOS screen range. This is a conservative number as some of them can be combined or eliminated. The number of tables will be in the 10-20 range, I would guess.

2 - We will need to direct reports to one of several printers. I assume that this can be done in VBA but I would like confirmation of same.

3 - The current system sends a signal to a cash register drawer to open it at the appropriate time. Can I accomplish this in VBA?

Thanks, in advance.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Limitations? (2000-SR1)

#1 - No problems here what-so-ever.

#2 - You can have reports directed to different printers, however how convenient it is depends on how you want to control it. To have certain reports always go to specific printers is easy. Other than that, do you want to control it all thru code, or have users make selection via Windows Printer selection? Office XP does make it somewhat easier to do it in code, or at least that's what I understand.

#3 - I suppose you can do this, but don't know specifically how.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Lounger
    Thanks

Mark:

Thanks for the quick reply.

Re: #2 - Our understanding is that specific reports will always go to a hard coded printer. Can this be done in Access 2000?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In this case it isn't a problem, but there is a limit of 1000 modules, including those for forms and reports.
    Charlotte

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

>>but there is a limit of 1000 modules, including those for forms and reports<<

Charlotte,

That's always good to know. but do you knkow if this limit also includes tables and queries? Of course, even counting all 4 I still think I have a few hundred to spare, even on my most complicated apps!
    Mark Liquorman

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

>>Re: #2 - Our understanding is that specific reports will always go to a hard coded printer. Can this be done in Access 2000?<<

Yes. For example, I have a client in which when they enter a new part number, a label is automatically printed on the attached label printer. All other reports are printed on the networked system printer.
    Mark Liquorman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The limit applies to modules only, including class modules, standard modules, forms and reports. I only pointed it out because the question was asked, not because I thought it applied to an app with 100 or so forms. You can have up to 32,768 objects in a database, so I imagine your tables and queries and everything else will still come in under the limits. Anybody who created an Access app that pushed those limits should probably have his or her head examined.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Mark and Charlotte:

Thanks for the info.

I'm not looking at any more than 200 (maximum) forms and fewer than 50 reports. It sounds like this should not be a problem, from what you guys have said.

BTW, Re: my original post - I only received an email notification for the first reply (#87134). Is this the way the software is supposed to work?

Thanks, again.

Lounger
    Thanks

I t hink I discovered the answer to my question about the lounge software. It is only replies to the original post for which email notifications are sent.

Duh!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you're getting email notifications, you'll only get them for any replies directly to your post. Replies to replies won't generate a message.
    Charlotte