Star Lounger
    Thanks

Weird stuff: iTunes update problem

This doesn't belong on in this section but I can't think where else to post it. Yesterday, iTunes announced an update to 10.5.1 so I did the normal thing and allowed the update to proceed. Since then, it's been hell.

The update failed. It could not find some file and couldn't find whether I had an 'approved device'. After a couple of false starts, I attempted to remove iTunes for a complete reinstall. At first iTunes clung like peach to pit. It wouldn't go away. After five tries including backing up to two earlier restore points, it seemed to work. However, it won't recognize my iPod Classic. Along the way, the sound developed HEAVY reverberation through the laptop speakers but that seems to have gone away. The playback (it will play back) includes massive stuttering and cutouts despite having nothing else running.

The driver is there. The program is there. The program is working except that it won't recognize the iPod and it won't playback smoothly. The system is up-to-date in all other respects. Security is MacAfee. All music and video files are in the cloud somewhere.

Apple suggests a fix to get recognition involving making changes with msconfig. I started into that but then felt that the instructions seemed flakey so I stopped before messing things up further.

Suggestions anyone?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Magna View Post

Suggestions anyone?
    Magna,
    Hello... It would be best if you had an "Image" (not restore point) that you could recover to ...If not i would try and remove all the iTune things that i could find... A good place to start would be "Revo Un-installer" Revo Free... when that finishes search you OS for "Leftovers" ...Program Data, Registry, Program Files, etc....A good free program is "Agent Ransack" Ransack Free to locate all things "iTunes" Once your done with the "house cleaning" try the reinstall of your program and run it as an Administrator. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-11-23 at 14:57.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Magna (2011-11-25)

Thanks
    Hi Magna,

Right click the newly down loaded file for iTunes, select properties > previous versions tab and follow instructions.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been gone a few days. When I cranked up the box there was a notice from Apple asking to update Quicktime and iCloud. Nothing about iTunes. I allowed both.

When they were done updating (QuickTime took two attempts) I started up iTunes.
    First, there was no notice saying it couldn't update the programs dealing with other devices. That was not customary since this problem began.
    Second, a query yielded the message that iTunes was up-to-date (Version 10.5.1).

So, I plugged in the iPod and it sychronized as usual with no problem. --> Problem Solved! And I did nothing but update two other programs.

I assume Apple's stuff is highly linked so that an error in one program (maybe QuickTime) affects other programs like iTunes. Sure makes it hard to trace a problem and resolve it.

Thanks for your help. I'm storing the suggestions for use in the future.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmm, I've been having major problems trying to get itunes installed on my new Lenovo T-420s win7pro64, 8G ram - I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but that is consistently unsuccessful. I uninstalled and completely cleaned everything out using jv powertoosl registry cleaner and followed apple's instructions for completely uninstalling
    I keep getting the following error:
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BEX
    Application Name: iTunes.exe
    Application Version: 10.5.0.142
    Application Timestamp: 4e9243f2
    Fault Module Name: MSVCR80.dll
    Fault Module Version: 8.0.50727.6195
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4dcddbf3
    Exception Offset: 00026b72
    Exception Code: c000000d
    Exception Data: 00000000
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: aec1
    Additional Information 2: aec178c4debdc54fae8bafc6bd84621d
    Additional Information 3: 7696
    Additional Information 4: 7696eb266721b0f3efdd5c932aadd6a6

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip on the Installing pdf!

Lounger
    Thanks

McAfee and Itunes

I know of several folks who have had issues just recently with McAfee interferring with iTunes...there seems to be an incompatibility according to Dell.