Thanks

Taskbar Internet Icon has blue circle in the lower right corner

Most of the time I see this blue circle at the bottom right corner of my taskbar internet icon. It stays there unless I disable my internet adapter and then enable it again. When you mouse over it, it is the same with the blue circle as with the normal icon.

I have searched the internet and see different answers about this blue circle. Some say this shows a complete connection and other say that the computer is searching and has not completed the connection.
    The icon is the same size as the red X one. It is solid and not flashing.
    I have the DSL modem from my ISP and the Netgrear N900 router. I see no difference in the performances of my connections if the blue circle is present or not....Just would like to know what it is?
    Do I need change or set something up?

GiddyUpGo
    GiddyUpGo "Learn from the Past, Live in Today, Prepare for the Future"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    I am not sure what that "blue circle" is. Can you post a picture?

Thanks
    Hi guys,

I see this on my laptop {Win 7 SP-1 64Bit} when it is trying to connect to a wi-fi connection. However, it is rotating and goes away when the connection is complete.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    [QUOTE=ruirib;829845]I am not sure what that "blue circle" is. Can you post a picture?[/QUOTE]

I have 2 wired computers and one desktop wireless connection. This icon will be there when only one computer is connected or if all three are connected. It will never go away on it's own. It is always solid, sometime will rotate at the first of a bootup, but then will change to solid.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Hi guys,

I see this on my laptop {Win 7 SP-1 64Bit} when it is trying to connect to a wi-fi connection. However, it is rotating and goes away when the connection is complete.
    I have w7 SP1 Pro 32bit. My icon will rotate at a new boot, but will stop to a solid blue color very quickly. This with all my computers and wireless connections made and working and when ONLY my Main compute with the modem and router is connected.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I am not sure what that "blue circle" is. Can you post a picture?
    Sorry, I get a "You do not have permission ..." when I try to upload the image to you. I am new to the Lounge and maybe I do not understand how to do it. I clicked on the image bar and followed the prompts to find the image, etc.

Administrator
    Thanks
    See if this helps with the image uploading: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/faq...b3_attachments. The dialog should show allowed image types.

Thanks

Captured Icon Image

This is the Image of my Icon with the blue circle, If I did it right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Oh, now I get it. It always happens with me while a network connection is being established. Once it's established, the blue circle goes away.

Thanks
    Oh, now I get it. It always happens with me while a network connection is being established. Once it's established, the blue circle goes away.
    That is my question...why with all of my connections (2 wired and one wireless) made and working, does it still stay a solid blue, no rotation, and only goes away when I manually disable my internet adapter and then enable it? Also sometimes it does start with the normal icon without it ever turning blue.
    Last edited by GiddyUpGo; 2011-11-26 at 20:04.

Administrator
    Thanks
    But when it is solid blue, do you have internet connection?

Thanks
    But when it is solid blue, do you have internet connection?
    Yes, as stated in my original post, I can tell no difference in my internet connections. When I mouse over the Icon it shows "Network 4, internet access", with the blue circle and or without the blue circle.
    You set me to thinking when you stated you had the blue circle while your connections were completed. I hooked up my old computer and the Icon goes to the solid icon without the blue. This means to me that I have a problem with my new computer.
    Under device manager I uninstalled my internet adapter and let windows reinstall it. Same thing. I then uninstalled just the driver and installed the latest update driver. Same thing. I disconnected my router and just used my ISP dls modem for my connection. Same thing. As I stated before this is not everytime, just most of the time. Sometimes the computer will boot with the normal icon without the blue. Reboot and the blue circle will be back!
    For the first time (This old senior is slow thinking sometimes) I looked at my wife's wired computer. Her computer is w7 64bit. Her icon always shows the normal icon...I never even saw the blue circle on hers. Probably because by the time I saw her taskbar icon her connections had already been made. Am I thinking right in that my computer is trying to connect to something and cannot? I only have the 2 computers and 1 wireless desktop. I have nothing shared.
    If you or anyone else have any thoughts, I sure would appreciate it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you do have internet connection even with the blue circle, I honestly wouldn't worry about it.
    Although Windows 7 networking is better than the previous incarnations, it is not as reliable as it could be. I see this especially with my laptop, that I use regularly on two different wireless networks and sometimes, on one of them, I need to disable and re-enable the adapter to get internet access. So I have just decided that I will accept that this is Windows 7 (never had it happen with XP before) and do what it takes to get internet access when I need to.

So, my advice would be that you do not worry about it, as long as you have all the networking functioning as you need it to. If there was a problem, you wouldn't have an internet connection. You can also make sure you have the latest driver for the network adapter. Other than this, as long as you get local network and internet access, everything is working as expected.