New Lounger
    Thanks

some upgrading to W7 questions for a downgraded XP Pro PC

a little while ago, we bought 3 identical Lenovo PCs for the business which came with W7 installed. however as some of our productivity software wasn't W7 ready at the time, I "downgraded" the OS on each to XP Pro with a view to "upgrading" to W7 later - that time has now come

when I downgraded the OS to XP I created a W7 boot disk and recovery disk to do the later upgrade

my questions are:

will one set of disks upgrade all 3 PC's or should they be unique to each PC? (I hope the former as I only created 1 set of disks!)
    will the Product ID/licence I'm running on the XP boxes still be valid for W7?? Or do I need to buy new licences?? (hope not to have that extra cost!)
    anything else I need to be aware of, or could have issues with??

thanks in advance

Dick

Thanks
    I assume when you say Recovery Disk, you mean a complete Image of the original OS. If this is so, and the PC's are exactly the same, you should be able to use this one set for each PC, using the original key for each PC. If you mean the normal Win 7 Recovery disks, I am not sure these are meant to reinstall the entire OS. I believe these disks are meant to help fix problems with the OS by using the Recovery Console.

Do the PC's have a recovery partition to reset to factory condition. This might also be a possibility.

Once you have things set the way you need them, look into Imaging using a good 3rd party Imaging app. There are many threads discussing Imaging in the Security and Backups forum.

You might have to download the Win 7 iso file from Digital River (this includes SP1, but no updates after SP1 was released) and use your original keys to install from this iso. Just burn the iso Image to a DVD.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted

I assume the recovery disks contain a complete image of the original OS as there are a large number of .wim files on there. The instructions when downgrading were to "create product recovery media in case you want to restore the Windows 7 OS at a later date" -Lenovo call them Factory Recovery disks.

I assume you suggest Imaging to save the faff of doing this 3x - do it for one and then image across??

finally I assume enter the Product Key for each PC once the install is completed??

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Those disks are not images. Most likely what they will allow you to do is to restore the laptops to their factory settings, thus erasing all apps and documents in the process. If that is the case, you will need to configure windows on boot and each pc will have a valid license right out of the box.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-11-24 at 12:44.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks ruirib

I've managed to find some information from Lenovo which indicates that the recovery disks do restore the PCs to the factory default settings, and I may need to install some additional drivers (W7 ones I presume)

So I'll back up all the data from each PC first and then the faff of running updates, program installs, etc etc. Luckily I am putting the Xmas/New Year period aside for this as we are very very quiet then.

fingers crossed it all goes smoothly!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Windows 7 does a good job of finding all the drivers you need, when booting. So I think that if you have the PCs connected to the internet, after the initial configuration is done, Windows 7 will most likely be able to find out most or all of the drivers you need.

Wish all goes well and smoothly .

Thanks
    Evidently the recovery disks are used instead of the recovery partition in your case. These should return your PC's to the factory installed OS, all the crapware and extra fluff the manufacturer sees fit to include. You might want to consider the iso file I mentioned for the first, enter the key for that PC (should be on a tag on the PC) and install from this DVD. If it works it will give you a pristine Win 7 installation without all the Lenovo fluff. The worst that might happen is the install will not work and you lost a half hour of time. You can still use the Recovery Disks at that point. You might also need to phone MS to activate the OS (some have had to, some have not)

Best wishes from me as well and Happy Holidays!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks Ted

you make a good point about all the "fluff" that comes prepackaged with new PCs - the 1st thing I do with any new PC is get rid of all the crap that comes packaged with it.(30 day trial of Norton?? no thanks!!) I didn't do this with these PCs and simply produced the recovery disks when setting them up and installing XP so I guess the fluff is still there.

I think I'll take the advice and download the ISO file and try that first - as you say, if it doesn't work I can still go with the recovery disks