Lounger
    Thanks

Post Problem with shutting down computer remotely

I have a small home network with 3 computers:
    A. main desktop Win 7 64 bit Home Premium (upstairs)
    B. laptop same as A.
    C. secondary desktop Win XP Home (downstairs)
    I want to be able to turn on C. from A. - that can be done easily with WakeOnLan.
    I would then like to turn off C. from A. but that is proving to be more difficult. I can do it using LogMeIn, but I would prefer to use a program like WakeOnLan, but obviously to turn the computer off rather than on. I have tried the shutdown /i command, but when I use this I get a message that "Access is denied (5)". I also tried psshutdown, but that tells me that "the network name cannot be found". This happens whether I use the correct name or the IP address. I also get this cryptic message "Make sure that the default admin$ share is enabled on ******. What on earth does this mean?
    On C. I checked the security tab on the System32 folder and gave "everyone" full control of that folder. I also checked the shutdown.exe file and "everyone" also has full control of that file.
    So why do I get the "Access denied (5)" message, and how can I get remote shutdown to work? Also how do I enable the "default admin$ share"? Windows is so unhelpful with these cryptic messages, without telling you how to solve the problem.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Are you logged onto the remote machine when you issue the shutdown command? If so, I think the messages are generated because you are not logged in as an administrator on the target.

You also need to be logged into an account on the local machine that has the same username and password as the target machine.

See if this blog entry helps.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply.
    I am the only user on any of my computers, so I don't use a log in name or password. I can access all files on the remote computer, so I guess I am logged in. I did what it suggests in your link, and I can access my remote computer by entering \\computer name in the search window. An explorer window opens and I can browse the remote computer, so this suggests I have admin privileges.
    You may well have identified the problem however. I seem to recall reading somewhere that you cannot shutdown remotely unless you have a username and password. In some ways this seems odd since I can access the remote computer over the network without entering a username or password - I just can't use shutdown remotely. Using LogMeIn is a workaround, but not as convenient as using shutdown. Microsoft does not make things easy! I am sure there is some justification for requiring a username and password, if in fact this is true, but it seems like more of an inconvenience than a help.

Thanks
    This link is what you might be looking for?:http://www.technipages.com/windows-s...-remotely.html
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply chowur, but the command line in your reference is pretty much what I have been using; I tried it anyway and got the same result "Access is denied (5)".
    I think as I stated in post #3 that the problem has something to do with the fact that I do not have usernames or passwords on either my main computer or the one I am trying to shutdown remotely.
    It was also stated in your link:
    "As a note, you need to be logged into an account that has administrator rights to the computer you are shutting down"
    How can I assign rights to an account on one computer that will apply to another computer?
    Nothing ever seems to be easy with Microsoft!

Thanks
    "Make sure that the default admin$ share is enabled on ******. What on earth does this mean?
    This link will explain;http://www.intelliadmin.com/index.ph...are-explained/
    How can I assign rights to an account on one computer that will apply to another computer?
    This link might just be what you are looking for?:http://techsupt.winbatch.com/ts/T000001048F90.html

Last edited by chowur; 2011-12-02 at 06:31.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the links Chowur.
    The first link gives a pretty good explanation of admin$ share, although the address they refer to in the second graphic is impossible to make out, so I can't try it. It would appear that there must be a password for a user for me to do what I want. One thing I found strange - I followed the instructions about setting up file sharing (in the link in your first article), but I do not have the "Use simple file sharing" checkbox under "Folder options".
    I don't believe the second link is relevant to my situation; I may be wrong, but I don't think group policy editor is available in Windows XP Home.
    I have spent many hours trying to figure this out, and I have found that LogMeIn allows me to do what I want with minimum hassle - I can remotely start and shutdown my computer from within LogMeIn.
    Thanks for your help.