2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question FIXED Problem with Acronis True Image 2011 FIXED

Hi all. Just installed Acronis TI Home 2011 w/plus pack on my main Win7 laptop. Set up (as incremental) and ran the first backup, and chose the root directory of an external HDD for the location. This HDD has quite a bit of data on it. Had a couple of failed attempts (I aborted them for various reasons) before the completed one. Acronis says it was completed, and now the disc shows up as empty in Win Explorer, and Acronis doesn't see the backup file (or anything else) either.. However, when I go to my other 'puter (older laptop with XPSP3) it's perfectly okay - I can see everything on the disc, including the backup file. So - how do I reverse this so I can access the external HDD from my main laptop?? Sure hope someone can answer this for me - I'm frustrated! I think I'm done with Acronis after this - what works better than Acronis?. Y'all take care, Patrad.
    Last edited by Patrad; 2011-11-25 at 11:38. Reason: Fixed

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If the disk is showing as empty on one computer, I would risk saying the problem is not Acronis. Have you tried rebooting the pc?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Patrad (2011-11-25)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem wasn't there until I did the backup. I was using the external HDD as usual until the backup finished. Seems like Acronis has locked it, or made it hidden.
    Last edited by Patrad; 2011-11-25 at 11:16.

Administrator
    Thanks
    That really doesn't mean Acronis is to blame, especially if the backup went ahead and completed. Using a disk doesn't render it useless.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Patrad (2011-11-25)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Been tinkering with various things in both Acronis and Windows. Still not quite sure what I did to fix it, I'll have to do some more digging. Anyway, thanks for your replies.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do you have Acronis installed in other computers? Can you verify the image, if you do?

If you open your device manager, does the disk show there or not?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrad View Post
    Hi all. Just installed Acronis TI Home 2011 w/plus pack on my main Win7 laptop. I'm frustrated! I think I'm done with Acronis after this - what works better than Acronis?.
    Patrad,
    Hello... There are several "Free Imaging" programs that will do as you want. ( as far as the basics ).. Acronis has become too many things and has lost sight of ...Just want a easy and reliable backup program... I use Acronis 2010 V 7046 and it does a good job for me ... I only run manual Full Image backups ( too much of a chance for an "incremental " to go wrong) also use Try & Decide...That said

1. Macrium Reflect Free Macrium Version 4.2.3636 download from "FileHippo" ....remember to burn the recovery disk. Have issues with Version 5.

2. EASEUS Todo backup Free EASEUS ... don't have much experience with this, but many loungers have had good results.

Also .... Acronis should have no effect on whether or not you can see your external HD... Most likely when connecting you "external" Windows changes your HD's drive letter ... Try using "Disk Management " and assigning a letter (right click and choose from drop down) that is never used by anything else It might stick then when plugging and unplugging the external.

Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-11-25 at 14:08.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Patrad, your external hdd must be 'on' before starting Acronis.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Patrad,
    Hello... There are several "Free Imaging" programs that will do as you want. ( as far as the basics ).. Acronis has become too many things and has lost sight of ...Just want a easy and reliable backup program... I use Acronis 2010 V 7046 and it does a good job for me ... I only run manual Full Image backups ( too much of a chance for an "incremental " to go wrong) also use Try & Decide...That said

1. Macrium Reflect Free Macrium Version 4.2.3636 download from "FileHippo" ....remember to burn the recovery disk. Have issues with Version 5.

2. EASEUS Todo backup Free EASEUS ... don't have much experience with this, but many loungers have had good results.

Also .... Acronis should have no effect on whether or not you can see your external HD... Most likely when connecting you "external" Windows changes your HD's drive letter ... Try using "Disk Management " and assigning a letter (right click and choose from drop down) that is never used by anything else It might stick then when plugging and unplugging the external.

Regards Fred
    Another tip that I'll pass on - give all drives a 'name'.
    I also use Acronis TIH 2012 (upgraded from '09 last week) and it was very confusing to have the drive letters be not the same when Acronis scanned and showed the results.
    Linux Ubuntu also showed different drive letters, which is where I learned 'naming' partitions. The name always stays.