New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 fresh install older computer frezzes again and again..

When I was in the military, they used to call this type of situation/question, a “Stump the Dummy” question.

First some background, I'm probably older than many Windows secrets subscribers. One of the things that really bugs me sometimes is the planned obsolescence/short lifetime of many products that we use. As a result, when I use a product that works for me, I try to learn how it works (within my limited abilities), and how I can keep it updated and upgraded.

That tendency was what led me to first upgrade computer components, and now for the past 10 years or so, to build my own computers. I'm not a modder, I don't overclock, but I like to build with an eye to future-proofing the computer as much as I can, in anticipation of changes in software and new applications.

Now, I'm just stumped, and I need help. Here is my situation:

Five years or so ago, I built my self a new desktop computer for my home. The motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo4 (MSI-7125). The CPU is a dual core Athlon 64. I use the on board sound (no add on sound card), and the graphics card is an NVidia 9800. The case is an Antec Sonata, with a 500 watt power supply. The hard drive is a Western Digital 1 Tb green drive. I initially had installed 2 gb of Crucial pc 3200 ram.

I ran Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 3 on it for several years without any hitch.

I decided that I would build a new home computer for myself, with the intention that I would add ram to this older computer and load Windows 7 64 on it, and use it as my desktop computer in my business.

I went to the Crucial website, which I have always used to add RAM, and had the Crucial memory adviser check this computer, and I upgraded the computer to 4 Gb of Crucial pc 3200 ram.

I was able to install Windows 7 64 on the new computer without a hitch, and the only drivers that were not installed upon initial install were the Realtek sound drivers.

After the computer boots either in normal or in safe mode, it freezes within a few minutes.
    There is no bsod, the computer simply freezes.

I read past Windows Secrets newsletters, and I searched the problem on the internet. I disabled the sound card, and that had no impact on the situation.

The freeze happens early enough after booting that I can't download and install any Microsoft updates.

I checked my hardware, and everything seems to be working just fine, and there is not any overheating problem.

This computer, with the dual core Athlon 64 and the 4 gbs of ram should run Windows 7 64 without a hitch.

I am the dummy who is stumped. Can you help?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Hi Jeff,

My first suspicion would be a memory issue. Even from a reliable manufacturer as Crucial, there can be problems. How many sticks of memory do you have? Is it feasible to remove one or two, boot, check if there are any issues and try again until you are able to rule out memory issues or conclude that one of the sticks is failing?

Thanks
    I also have had this same problem.You must sure that,ALL four sticks of memory are exactly the same.I'm talking about the volts,timming...ect.My only suggestion @ this point & time would be.To take out (1)one of the old & (1)one of the new & hold them side by side & compare the finer points as suggested above.Even they are of the same manufacturing they always will not work.Needless to say.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffL View Post

I am the dummy who is stumped. Can you help?
    Hi Jeff,
    One old dummy to another... I'm sure the lounge will be able to sort this all out ... Might take a bit of work... What i would do and some recommendations...
    1. Remove and re-seat your memory sticks...

2. Enter BIOS and make sure that it sees all memory..

3. If your PC has a "Native" on board graphics... un-plug your Nvidia card, and try to boot

4. If you can boot up long enough check your "page file" see what the number is...

Have had Freeze problems with 7 \ 64 and it turned out to be my Nvida settings... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It was the memory all right! I had 4 banks of RAM, and I removed one pair and it is working great! I alternated pairs, and they are both fine. I then went back and reviewed the motherboard manual, and it seems that, for some reason, MSI only allowed 4 Gbs of pc3200 RAM if it is single sided RAM, but I can install 4 Gb of pc2700 dual sided RAM. I suppose if I want 4Gb of RAM (and with Windows 7 64, I do), I'll have to go from pc3200 to pc2700.

Thanks, this lounge is better than great!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    I am glad you found the cause for the problem .