Thanks

Double FireFox? 3.6.24 plus latest?

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to have two versions of Firefox installed on a PC using Win 7?
    I did have FF5 when it came out but when going to my own website FF5 would crash, so I had to revert to my previous version which was FF 3.6.
    I would love to upgrade to the newest FF, but I no longer trust it not to crash.

It's such a pain having to un-install and re-install all the time. It never installs to how I want it, you always have to change parts of it.

So keeping FF3.6.24 which I'm using at the moment - can I also install... whatever the newest one is - at the same time?

Thanks
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Yes, beta testers and developers often install two versions side-by-side. Of course, only one can be the default browser to open shortcuts or links clicked in other programs, so it's not completely confusion-free.

It's a good idea to start with a backup of your profile folder(s), just in case.

Let's say that 8.0.1 will be your default version, and 3.6.x will be your alternate version. You may want to change the default installation location for Firefox 8 to avoid overwriting any of Firefox 3.6's program folders. (This might affect whether third party programs can add plug-ins to Firefox, but hopefully that won't be a problem.)

If you want to be able to run your alternate version side-by-side with your default version, you need a couple additional steps:

(1) set up a second profile for the alternate version (see Managing profiles | How to | Firefox Help); and

(2) create a new Firefox shortcut for the alternate version and edit the path to include the new profile name and the -no-remote startup switch (see Opening a new instance of your Mozilla application with another profile - MozillaZine Knowledge Base).

Once you have it working, you can copy the contents of your old profile folder into the new blank one (without overwriting the new folder name).

Any luck?

Thanks
    By the way, to improve stability in Firefox 4+, turn off hardware acceleration (Options > Advanced > General).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Thanks SilverSurfer, I might try that when I have some free time.
    Sounds like a nice idea to get a program actually in proper British English for a change, it's a pity you can't have that option all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Yes, beta testers and developers often install two versions side-by-side. Of course, only one can be the default browser to open shortcuts or links clicked in other programs, so it's not completely confusion-free.
    That much I knew.

It's a good idea to start with a backup of your profile folder(s), just in case.

Let's say that 8.0.1 will be your default version, and 3.6.x will be your alternate version. You may want to change the default installation location for Firefox 8 to avoid overwriting any of Firefox 3.6's program folders. (This might affect whether third party programs can add plug-ins to Firefox, but hopefully that won't be a problem.)

If you want to be able to run your alternate version side-by-side with your default version, you need a couple additional steps:

(1) set up a second profile for the alternate version (see Managing profiles | How to | Firefox Help); and

(2) create a new Firefox shortcut for the alternate version and edit the path to include the new profile name and the -no-remote startup switch (see Opening a new instance of your Mozilla application with another profile - MozillaZine Knowledge Base).

Once you have it working, you can copy the contents of your old profile folder into the new blank one (without overwriting the new folder name).

Any luck?
    Sounds like a long job with all those links to study first.

It could be a while before I can free up that much time to try it, as it looks very complex from your instructions, I only hope FF 3.6X doesn't run out completely before then....

However I'd want to begin with version 3.6X as default i.e. the only one that I know for sure works for me, anything else is a risk from where I'm sitting, which is why I asked the question in the first place.

Thanks very much, Super Moderator, for listing those instructions for me, I appreciate you taking the time to do that.

Much obliged,

Fran

mart44
    I've always used a couple of batch files for the job. Just recently in fact when trying out Waterfox. Here's how (just substitute the version numbers for the one you want to try:

Running two versions of Firefox on the same computer is a bit tricky because, as said, they both will use the same Profile by default. However, it is possible to set up an arrangement so that each version uses its own Profile. This can be achieved in a couple of ways in Windows.

Waterfox installs as expected in its own directory. However as the installation finishes, untick the box that says 'Launch Waterfox now'. It's important that it doesn't start and then grab hold of Fx 8.0's Profile. It may even start to disable incompatible extensions if this happens. So, with the box unticked, click the 'Finish' button.

After doing that, the Firefox Profile Manager needs to be opened so that a separate Profile can be created for Waterfox. To do this, go to 'Start > Run' and type 'firefox.exe -p' into the box and press OK. The Profile Manager should open with an entry called 'Default' in it. This will be the Profile for Fx 8.0 that is already installed. It would probably best rename this to something distinctive ('Fx 8.0' maybe). Next, click the 'Create Profile' button and follow the instructions. Give the additional Profile a name when prompted ('Waterfox' perhaps). Carry on and create the new Profile.

What has to be done then is to make sure the FF version you choose to open, does so using its own Profile. This can be done by unticking the box in the Profile Manager that says 'Don't ask at startup. The idea is that you want to be asked what Profile to use as Fx starts. Choose the Fx 8.0 Profile when starting FX 8.0 and the Waterfox Profile when starting Waterfox. Make sure to choose the right one each time

It would be possible to get both Fx and Waterfox to open using its own Profile without having to bring up the Profile Manager and choose a Profile every time. You might read of a few different ways but this is how I always did it. I haven't tried it recently but I believe it will still work. Open a new text document on the Desktop. Paste the following into it:

@echo off
    set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
    start '''' ''C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe'' -p ''Fx 8.0''
    set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=0

Save the text file and then rename it to version1.bat

Make a copy of the file and paste it onto the Desktop. Right-click on it and choose 'Edit'. Paste the following into it (overwriting what is already there):

@echo off
    set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
    start '''' ''C:\Program Files\C\Program Files\Waterfox\firefox.exe'' -p ''Waterfox''
    set MOZ_NO_REMOTE=0

Rename this file to version2.bat

Now, when you click on either of these .bat files, the version of Firefox you choose to open will do so with the correct Profile.

Note 1: (x 86) will need removing if the OS is XP or the 32-bit version of Windows 7.
    Note 2: There isn't a mistake in the 2nd batch file. Although the is Waterfox, the exe is still firefox.exe.

Another handy way of running two versions of Firefox if you are a paid up Sandboxie user is to install the second (or third) version of Firefox into its own sandbox.