Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 shuts down randomly: I have to restart

Have had random shutdowns in Win7 desktop off and on for weeks. This has happen when using internet and when not online. Tried system restore, checked fan and is does not seem to be over heating. Tried the Find and fix problems in System Security and found none.
    Sometimes it will go days without issue other times it might happen 2 or 3 times in a couple of hours.
    Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Hi bluetrue,

Welcome to the Lounge.

Do you get the known blue screens when that happens? You can try BlueScreenView and see what info it shows, if any.

Thanks
    You can also check the event viewer (eventvwr.msc) if BlueScreenView doesn't show a BSOD.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had BlueScreenView installed and it did not show anything. I used event viewer and found "Critical Event 41, Kernel-Power The system has rebooted withour cleanly shutting down first. This could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>2</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-11-27T01:30:37.494440100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>159282</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>My-HP</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hello bluetrue, if you are experiencing random shutdowns (as opposed to random restarts) and no Blue Screen Of Death, then it is likely you have a hardware fault. If the machine is under warranty, consider sending back for an warranty repair. If it is out of warranty or a home-brew system, then you need to start a diagnostic process to focus in on the component that is causing a problem.

If the machine is just shutting down, my first port of call would be the power supply. Perhaps it is old and is sagging, perhaps you have a graphics card that is drawing too much current from the 12volt rail etc. Either way the PSU is easy and cheap to replace. Run it for a while with a known good one and see if that fixes the issue.

If it doesn't - and remembering the assumption that these are shutdowns with no BSOD - you have a rather more serious issue. Most other hardware fails will generate a BSOD - things like RAM, hard drive, or even some motherboard failures will be logged. Nonetheless, you could consider re-seating the RAM (or swapping it out). Also try re-seating the CPU - be careful no to cause static damage and make sure the heatstink is mounted correctly afterwards. Consider taking an image backup of the hard drive and swapping it out for a know good one. Check for signs of damage on the motherboard - bulging or broken capacitors etc. The "Good Dr" has a very good reference here in the Lounge for how to overcome failed capacitors on a motherboard if it turns out to be the case.

While I think of it, I did see a PC a few years ago that had a broken USB port after the user had forced a USB memory stick in upside down. The 5Volt rail was perilously close to the case and would occasionally short to ground. Check for broken USB sockets etc.

Thanks
    From Microsoft:

This scenario usually indicates a problem with the hardware. Another possibility is that a driver may cause this problem. To help isolate the problem, check the following items:
    1. Overclocking: Disable overclocking and see whether the issue happens when the system is run at the correct speed.
    2. Check the memory: Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.
    3. Power Supply: Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives, or added external devices, such devices may require more energy than the current power supply can provide consistently.
    4. Overheating: Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal temperature of the hardware.
    5. Defaults: Use system defaults, and run the system.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. Of course it is out of warranty as is the usual way with things. I guess I should of said it randomly shuts down and I get the black screen asking me if I want to restart normally or in safe mode. I updated Bios and have checked everything I know to check which is limited. I used the HP installed Support Assistant and ran all the test to troubleshoot.

Using the Event Viewer there were some error messages that did not seem to be related to shutdowns but I could be wrong.
    I only have a extra power supply on a older computer, both are HP but I will need to check it. I will also check the USB port.

Tinto Tech I read the link you provided but the only things I have done inside my computers is add memory and change a hard drive. I am not that savvy savy. If it is something softcan cand do I can handle that.

Clint thanks I will check that. I have not installed any new devices. I have a printer and and a scanner hooked up and everything was fine for a long time. I will check the things Microsoft showed there.

Thanks. I will reply back after I do all the things suggested.

Thanks
    There is a whole package of things to check when any PC starts acting 'Wonky'.

The age of the PC is somewhat important, but I've seen almost brand new PC's
    exhibit failures typical of much older PC's.

So just for grins, I always go through the whole list, whether a PC is one year old
    or ten years old.
    Check the CMOS battery with a digital volt meter. It must be at 3.0 volts or better,
    or it should be changed.

Take out the ram and clean with edge connector with a clean cloth and alcohol. (Not Vodka)
    Re-seat the ram, good and tight.
    If you have multiple sticks of ram, try running the PC with just one, at a time, to see if maybe one is failing.

Disconnect all power plugs and re-seat them, even the 110vac line cord. Make sure it is nice and tight.
    I've seen loose power cords cause a PC to crash intermittently.

Check all the electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard. They should all be nice and flat on top.
    Any that are not flat, could be shorting out and causing power problems.
    (I just had to replace six of them, on my 5 year old MSI motherboard. That repair is NOT for amateurs.)

Finally, to eliminate some problem in Windows, boot up with a CD or Flash Drive and run something like
    "Memtest86" for several hours. That takes windows out of the game.

Good Luck,
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bluetrue View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Of course it is out of warranty as is the usual way with things. I guess I should of said it randomly shuts down and I get the black screen asking me if I want to restart normally or in safe mode. I updated Bios and have checked everything I know to check which is limited. I used the HP installed Support Assistant and ran all the test to troubleshoot.

Using the Event Viewer there were some error messages that did not seem to be related to shutdowns but I could be wrong.
    I only have a extra power supply on a older computer, both are HP but I will need to check it. I will also check the USB port.

Tinto Tech I read the link you provided but the only things I have done inside my computers is add memory and change a hard drive. I am not that savvy savy. If it is something softcan cand do I can handle that.

Clint thanks I will check that. I have not installed any new devices. I have a printer and and a scanner hooked up and everything was fine for a long time. I will check the things Microsoft showed there.

Thanks. I will reply back after I do all the things suggested.
    Guess I did not proof read for typos. Sorry! I was trying to say I have not done much inside my computer but if it is run by software I can handle that. I used pc doctor and ran all the test on memory, USB ports, hard drive and every thing else it would test and every thing passed. I will unplug and plug back in everything snd see if it helps. Then I will try cleaning out any dust.
    Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    Memtest86 is still the most reliable means of testing RAM...not "pc doctor".

I agree with the Doctor for the most part.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    About how long does memtest86 take to test?

Thanks
    Run overnight, or at least 4-6 hrs.
    See the above link with how to's.

Thanks
    If this is a new computer with a warranty I would have it looked at, especially if you are not comfortable with opening it up a tinkering inside the case.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran memtest86 all night it showed no errors. I restarted and went to check this web site and got a blue screen. I restarted and opened BlueScreen and it showed no crashes even thought I had just had one. This computer is not out of warrenty but not very old.

On a different note every time I try to post here I am logged in and I get a error message saying
    Errors The following errors occurred with your submission

You do not have permission to perform this action. Please refresh the page and login before trying again.
    So I have to sign in again before posting. Strange.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Do you have Windows 7 configured to generate a memory dump on crashes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast