Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have never set it that way. Should I?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Yes, that can help by providing clues on what is causing the crash. Do you need help doing it?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I would appreciate your help doing that. Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Visit Control Panel -> System -> Avanced System Settings. Then click the Settings button, for the Startup and Recovery, just above the Environment Variables button. You will get a screen like this one:

memdump.JPG

On the Write Debugging Information dropdown near the bottom, choose Small memory dump.

Lounger
    Thanks

Memory tests

Hi,

Just a comment, Mem Test may not be enough. I have used Windows Memory diagnostics and found that the memory passed many passes of the standard test, however on the Extended test I received the following results. Do all the tests before believing the memory is good!

Standard test always passes.

Extended test with default cache stalls at 20%. (4 times.)
    Extended test with cache off will not run at all.
    Extended test with cache on passes.

Bill

Thanks
    A typical problem with most memory test programs, (I'm going back many years now) is that they check the ram just one memory address at a time. They do not load down the memory like when running Windows plus programs.

So if a PC has two memory sticks, I like to run it with just one stick at a time, to see if one of them is Wonky.

(now this will really blow some minds)
    If I find one memory stick that's causing problems, or if it fails Memtest86, I take it out, to the kitchen sink and WASH it with soap and water and an old toothbrush, concentrating on the little legs on the sides of the memory chips, and of course the edge connector.

Then after an alcohol rinse and plenty of time to dry, I put it back in and run it again. In the past 20 years, I've only discarded two sticks of ram that could not be recovered by washing. One was made by Spectec and the other was Kingston. I won't have either of those brands in any computer of mine.

I even solved a problem with dirty ram on a video card, by washing the ram chips. That was many years ago now, on my old computer, which is still running just fine today.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-12-01 at 11:08.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    People can have different experiences. I use both Crucial and Kingston in the PCs I have built for myself and others and have yet to have a problem with either, including the Kingston value line.

Jerry

Thanks

Try the most basic

This sure sounds like a heat problem. Very, very good suggestions mentioned but I would make sure that dust is not the culprit. Use compressed air for electronics to blow the dust as opposed to the vacuum method. Pay special attention to all heatsinks, fans, and graphics card if applicable. I would dowload and install a temp monitoring program such as Core Temp (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/) to monitor CPU temps. If you are running hot, your BIOS made be set to shut down at a terminal temperature to avoid damage. If this is your issue and you have eliminated dust as the cause, upgrade for CPU cooler and/or add additional case fans. Sounds like you have not overclocked. As Tinto suggested another posibility may be the power supply. Follow his directions or purchase an invaluable PSU tester ($15) that has saved me much aggrevation (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1647108&CatId=5471) Try removing all unnessecary peripherals that be overloading USB busses.

Your description describes a spontaneous reboot so I would also make sure that this is not virus related. Scan with your native AV program after updating definitions then do a spot check with at least 2 other scanners. I would suggest SuperAntiSpyware (http://superantispyware.com/), MalwareBytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/), or Spybot (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html)

Wonder if the problem will show itself in Safe Mode.

HTH

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I miss typed before and said it was not out of warrenty but it is.
    I cleaned the dust out, changed the power cord with other pc, made sure the memory sticks were tight and checked the memory with memtest+86. I ran all the scans avira rescue cd, done the virus, spyware, and malware programs in safe mode, checked for rootkit virus,I have found nothing in any of the scans. No shut down and restart in safe mode so far when I ran scans.

It will work for a few days then restart several times in one day.
    Thanks for the post.
    Last edited by bluetrue; 2011-12-09 at 20:45.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could possibly check for latest drivers for graphics - chip-set - USB - storage controllers etc. In case one of them is causing a conflict but only when a certain condition arises which may explain why it is so random in occurrence.

Check in device manager for anything with a error triangle as this may only cause a problem if that particular driver is called up for use.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2011-12-10 at 04:18.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bluetrue View Post
    I miss typed before and said it was not out of warrenty but it is.
    I cleaned the dust out, changed the power cord with other pc, made sure the memory sticks were tight and checked the memory with memtest+86. I ran all the scans avira rescue cd, done the virus, spyware, and malware programs in safe mode, checked for rootkit virus,I have found nothing in any of the scans. No shut down and restart in safe mode so far when I ran scans.

It will work for a few days then restart several times in one day.
    Thanks for the post.
    You are still not getting dump files?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12