New Lounger
    Thanks

Keyboard has a mind of it's own

My Dell Inspiron mini, running Windows 7 Starter, notebook, has a keyboard problem. When hitting any key on the "home key" row it will display that letter and the letter below it. Example, hit the a key and it will display az, hit the s key and it will display the sx and so on across all "home row" keys except the g & h keys. The row above works right. The row below has a similar problem. When hitting the z key it will display aza or if you tap and release quickly it will display az and the x key will display sx or sxs, and so on across that row except the b and n keys. The space bar acts like the return key.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
    Sounds like bad keyboard hardware. You could try plugging in a USB keyboard to see if it makes a difference.

Jerry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Strawboss (2011-11-28)

Thanks
    Yes, it sounds like a short circuit between the rows of switches inside the keyboard.
    Was anything spilled on that keyboard?

I have an old Compaq laptop, where the keyboard got rained on. It's totally KAPUT, but the
    little laptop works fine with an external keyboard plugged in.

Good Luck,
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for you help. I took the notebook back to Sam's Club and traded it for a Tobshiba Satellite C655-S5310 Laptop. They have a 90 day return policy and I made it by a couple of weeks. About $140.00 more but well worth it and I am much happier with a real (as compared to the notebook) computer.

Thanks
    Did you say who made the 'Notebook' ??? If you did, I missed it, but "Toshiba" is at the top of my recommendation list, so you should be real happy with it. Just get rid of all the crappy software that's put on there at the factory.

Then run a good Anti-Spyware program and a good Anti-Virus program. If that laptop came with either Norton or McAfee,,,,,,delete them.
    Neither one is worth a darn. I clean all that crap off of every Toshiba laptop that I set up.

Good Luck!
    The Doctor

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The Notebook was a Dell. I agree, don't like the pay as you go virus programs. Fred says MS Security Essentials works as well as any he has tried so I downloaded that on the new Tosihiba after I uninstalled the Norton's program that came pre-installed. I have been running MS Security Essentials on my desk top for a while now and am happy with it.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks
    As a professional PC service tech, that would NOT be my choice for protection. NO ONE program is going to keep your computer safe.
    That's why I install a "Package" of security software for all my customers, to keep them 100% SAFE.
    My list of my recommended Security Software is on my web page, along with download links.

But then I don't want to argue with Fred either...... he hits!

Merry Christmas!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-12-01 at 11:39.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I hear that! just virus protection is not enough, but windows has a great fire wall too. I back that up with a free program called spybot and also keep a 100% score with the secunia program. So I feel pretty safe and so far so good.

Thanks
    I think it's somewhat hilarious, if it weren't so tragic, that people will download and install a program, like Spybot S&D, and NEVER even once get an update, do the Immunization or run a scan and they still think it's protecting them. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    Every once in a while, I find Spybot S&D on a new customer's PC and it's never had the first update, or run the first scan. Whatever were they thinking? (or not thinking at all)

The setup for Spybot S&D is so important and specific, that I wrote up a whole page of instructions on its Setup and posted that page on my Web Page. For my Customers, I give them a page of instructions on just how to get updates, (Every Wednesday,) do the Immunization and run a scan. So there are four important steps to successful use of Spybot S&D (weekly, not Weakly) and they are:
    Installation Setup
    Updating every Wednesday, when the new updates are posted.
    Immunization
    Scanning for spyware

This is not in any way, an automatic program. You have to DRIVE it every step of the way.
    For those guys and gals that do repair work, there is also a Portable version of Spybot Search & Destroy,
    that you can run from a Flash Drive and even get updates to it, on the flash drive.
    I use that when working on a new customer's PC, when it's apparent that they are infected by Malware.

Malware scans will go a lot quicker, if you delete all the garbage files off of a HD before you do the Scan.
    For that, I just run my Cleanup batch file from my flash drive.
    It's not unusual to find over 100,000 junk files on a PC that has never had maintenance done on it. Yoiks!

Cheers Mates and Merry Christmas!
    The Doctor

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, Doctor, I owe you a big thank you. I have gotten lazy and have not ran an update for Spybot, nor ran a scan for some time now. Had not really thought about it until reading your post here. I used to be much more in tune to keeping my system squeaky clean. Now, thanks to you I have the latest and a fresh scan. I'll try not to get so lazy in the future.