Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Add-on failed to run

I keep getting the annoying message "Add-on for this website failed to run. Check the security settings in Internet Options for conflicts". I have everything enabled except those that are not secure (pink highlight). What items should be checked? How do I find the add-on that is trying to run? Yes, this is a safe site, I've been using it for about nine years but I just started getting this pop-up recently. Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you really trust the site try adding it to your "Trusted Sites" - go to Settings | Internet Options | Security | Trusted Sites.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for responding Joe. The site is already in my trusted sites and that's why I don't understand why I'm getting this pop up. I'm also getting it on other trusted sites. I'd like to know what the add-on is.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you checked your addons to see what might be disabled?

Trusted Sites still has a number of things disabled. Have you enabled any of them? Which ones? What is still disabled?

NOTE: rather than just enable I'd set them to "Prompt". That way at least you'll have a chance to review what is happening. And only change one setting at a time so if it finally works you know which one fixed the issue. You can change the others back to "Disable".

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Where/how do I check my addons? Everything in the Intranet Zone is enabled. In the Internet Zone the following are checked as Prompt :
    Download signed X controls,
    Download unsigned Active X controls,
    Initial & script Active X controls not marked as safe for scripting
    Installation of desktop items
    Launching applications & unsafe files
    Launching progroms & files in an IFRAME

Administrator
    Thanks
    To check addons - go to Settings (small gear) | Manage add-ons.

The settings for Trusted Sites are separate from the Intranet (internal network) and Interent (general browsing) settings. Trusted Sites get more privileges by default but not everything is allowed.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep, what Joe said. What browser are you using? If its IE, open your browser, select Tools, then Manage Add-ons, find the add on in question and make sure its enabled. If your running Firefox do the same thing, open your browser, select Tools, then Add-ons, when that opens you can look in both Extensions and Plugin's. Make sure its enabled there. Not a clue if its Chrome.

Thanks
    Some background info, would help everyone who might want to help you.

What computer? What browser, and what version?

I never install Firefox, for instance, without also installing the very latest "Shockwave" and "Flash".
    I also like to keep "Java" up to date.

With all the security holes that have been found in I.E. over the past 16 years, I flatly refuse to even use it.

Good Luck!

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I had the computer built for me just for the game/sim that I play called Trainz. I use Internet Explorer 8, version 8.0.6001.18702. Secunia PSI states that my computer as 99% up to date. My Photo Shop needs to be upgraded but I'm in no hurry. I don't know what else to tell you except this started happening about three weeks ago and I don't remember doing anything different or downloading a program. How can I find out what add-on is trying to load?

Thanks
    You could disable all add ons they re-enable then one at a time.

I would check the various add ons, especially the ones DrWho mentioned to see if you have the latest versions. You might also try upgrading to IE 9. (you do not say what version of Windows. If XP, then IE 8 is the latest compatible version)

Things generally do not just start happening without some change taking place, whether on your end or the web site end. You might want to contact the web site to see if something changed on their end that precipitated this change in behavior on your PC.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with you Ted. Something changed and now I'm trying to figure out what. If I have all my add-ons enabled now then there must be another add-on that is trying to run but can't for some reason. I'm trying to find out what add-on that is. All my add-ons are enabled. And yes, I'm still with XP until it dies or I get a new computer. Thanks for responding.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a problem like this that was related to uninstalling Google Chrome. I seems some programs do not cleanly uninstall (no suprise). The solution involved deleting an entry in the registry (not something I like to do). If you recently uninstalled a program (browser, utility, etc), you may want to google the error and add the name of the program to the search string.
    You may also want to google on the error and add "malware," sans quote marks. I recently read that some malware could cause that message. Unfortunately I do not recall
    where I read this and cannot guarantee that the information is legitimate.
    I second with the suggestion to set your browser to prompt you before an addon is allowed to run. A little detective work may resolve the problem.
    Hell hath no fury like a Hippopotamus with a machine gun!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for responding. What I did was turn down my sound when visiting the site so I didn't hear the annoying pop. I guess I was hoping that it would just go away. All my add-ons are enabled and I'm still getting this message so my question is still what add-on is trying to run and how do I find it? Disabling any add-ons doesn't make any sense due to the statement of the message. In my Internet Options everything is enabled except those that are considered not safe (pink highlight).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    An add-on for this website failed to run. Check the security settings in Internet options for potential conflicts.
    A webpage tried to use an ActiveX control or script but your security settings did not allow it.
    If the website is not on the Restricted sites list, you can add it to the Trusted sites list.
    Internet Explorer 8 Information bar: frequently asked questions

Are Security settings at Default level for each zone?

I don't think the pink highlights are standard in IE8; they're added by some security enhancement program (but I can't remember which one).

Bruce

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bruce, the site is on my trusted sites list. All my ActiveX contols & scripts are enabled EXCEPT the ones where I get the pink highlights. When I choose enable at one of those sections I get this message: "The current security settings will put your computer at risk". In regards to your last statement I wonder if I'm getting the pink highlights because I'm using Windows Security Essentials. On the Internet Zone I'm getting the pink highlights at the : download signed ActiveX controls and the download unsigned ActiveX controls. On my Trusted Sites zone they're enabled. What do you think I should do? Enable those Two pink ones? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast