Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Change links color: Google/Firefox

Am trying change the default color of visited links in Google search results.

In Firefox I've clicked on Tools, Options, Content, Colors, and in the Link Colors Area selected my colors. & unchecked " Allow Pages to Choose Their Own Colors"

Nothing changes. I've done a search and this seems to be a problem going back years. Has anyone figured out how to make this change?

Thanks.

Thanks
    You might need an add-on in order to target particular sites. You could try Stylish (Stylish on AMO).

A Stylish userstyle to change the visited links in Google results to black, for example, would be:

Code:
    @namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
    @-moz-document domain("www.google.com") {
      a:visited{color:black !important}
    }

mart44
    It can also be done by adding a bit of code to the 'userContent.css' file in Firefox's Profiles folder. This file doesn't exist by default, so it has to be created. First create a new folder called 'chrome' within the Firefox Profiles folder, then create the 'userContent.css' file within this. When that is set up, open the userContent.css file and paste the following line into it:

a[href]:visited {color: #990000 !important;}

Close Firefox before doing the above. When it's re-opened, the visited link colour should be red. Change the hex value for a different colour.

To create the userContent.css file open a new text document and rename it to 'userContent.css'.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mart44 For This Useful Post:

curiousclive (2011-11-30)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you so much, mart44, for your instructions. I created the folder chrome within Profiles folder and in Notepad I created userContent.css. I saved that to the Desktop. Opened the file from Desktop, pasted a[href]:visited {color: #990000 !important;} saved the file again.
    I then opened Firefox, but nothing had changed. I tried a different color, but still no change. (The new folder and the file within in are showingin Profiles folder)
    Am I doing something wrong in saving the file to Desktop?

Thank you

Thanks
    The file needs to go into the chrome folder you created.

The chrome folder needs to be in the profile you are currently using. To quickly access that profile folder, use the "Open Containing Folder" button on the about:support screen (also known as Help > Troubleshooting Information).

mart44
    Below is a screenshot showing the file structure/location of the 'userContent.css' file in the Firefox Profiles folder (don't worry about the 'userChrome.css' file). If it all looks like this, the visited links colour should work. I've tried my own installation of Firefox with and without the line of code in the userContent.css file several times. With the code, the visited links are coloured red. Without the code, they aren't. You have to remember to save the file (File > Save) each time any changes are made to it. Also carry out and save the changes with Firefox closed.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mart44 For This Useful Post:

SF99 (2011-12-03)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    The file needs to go into the chrome folder you created.

The chrome folder needs to be in the profile you are currently using. To quickly access that profile folder, use the "Open Containing Folder" button on the about:support screen (also known as Help > Troubleshooting Information).
    Thank you! I had put the folder in the default/profile.

And thank you for the Troubleshooting Information tip. Never had examined that before. Great to learn new things.

Regards.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mart44 View Post
    Below is a screenshot showing the file structure/location of the 'userContent.css' file in the Firefox Profiles folder (don't worry about the 'userChrome.css' file). If it all looks like this, the visited links colour should work. I've tried my own installation of Firefox with and without the line of code in the userContent.css file several times. With the code, the visited links are coloured red. Without the code, they aren't. You have to remember to save the file (File > Save) each time any changes are made to it. Also carry out and save the changes with Firefox closed.

Thank you for your additional help.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to acerfmayer For This Useful Post:

SF99 (2011-12-03)

mart44
    Just for information, the same can be done in Google Chrome. There is a file called, 'Custom.css' found in the following location:

'C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\User StyleSheets'

Paste this line into the 'Custom.css' file: A:visited { color: #990000 ! important } for visited links to be dark red.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mart44 For This Useful Post:

SF99 (2011-12-03)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Link colour change

Thanks mart44
    Followed your instructions and it worked fine.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks mart44 !!!

Works great in my PC with:
    .... - XP, Firefox 3.6.24.

But...could NOT make it work
    in my PC with:
    .... - Ubuntu 11.04 (Gnome UI), Firefox 7.0.1.

I pasted your suggested magic line:

.... a[href]:visited {color: #990000 !important;}

in a new file: "userContent.css",
    in this Ubuntu 11.04 path:
    .... ~/.mozilla/firefox/myProfile/chrome/

Restarted FF with bated breath...
    but no "visited link" color changes are shown, in the Ubuntu PC.
    Yet, it works great in the XP PC...

(I must be doing something very basic, wrong - I'm not very experienced w/Ubuntu...).

Anyone:
    .... any idea how to make this work in Ubuntu 11.04 w/ Firefox 7.01?

SF99
    Last edited by SF99; 2011-12-03 at 19:31.

mart44
    I should point out that knowledge of bits of code in UserContent.css and userChrome.css that affect Firefox's behaviour are only the result of searching/reading I've done over the months/years. This and being a once avid reader of the Mozilla forums. That's where the source comes from and where the real thanks should go I guess. I'm only relaying what I've learned, tried out and tucked away in text files since Firefox 0.3 (called 'Phoenix' at that time) was the current version. Same with the Chrome tip.

My thoughts would be the same as your own about Firefox in Ubuntu. In theory, it should work with any OS since the change is made within Firefox's own structure. Is the browser set to remember history? I've come across this code, which is slightly different and could be tried:

a[href]:visited { color: rgb(128,0,128) !important; }

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mart44 View Post
    I should point out that knowledge of bits of code in UserContent.css and userChrome.css that affect Firefox's behaviour are only the result of searching/reading I've done over the months/years. This and being a once avid reader of the Mozilla forums. That's where the source comes from and where the real thanks should go I guess. I'm only relaying what I've learned, tried out and tucked away in text files since Firefox 0.3 (called 'Phoenix' at that time) was the current version. Same with the Chrome tip.

My thoughts would be the same as your own about Firefox in Ubuntu. In theory, it should work with any OS since the change is made within Firefox's own structure. Is the browser set to remember history? I've come across this code, which is slightly different and could be tried:

a[href]:visited { color: rgb(128,0,128) !important; }

Thanks for the quick reply, mart44!

Yes, tried the rgb(128,9,128) variation above,
    but that still didn't make any difference
    in FF 7.0.1 in Ubuntu 11.04...

The weird thing is it works great in FF 3.6.24 in Win XP.

Visited links show OK as dark red in FF / XP,
    but not in FF / Ubuntu.

I googled all over the place,
    but did not find an Ubuntu-specific different solution.
    Will post if I find any sol. working under Ubuntu.

Meanwhile, I hope some Ubuntu experienced aces,
    will read this thread and offer a suggestion,
    ...it's an Ubuntu-specific thing.

SF99
    Last edited by SF99; 2011-12-04 at 09:35.

mart44
    The history setting is setting is set to 'Remember history'? (Options > Privacy section).

Thanks
    Two thoughts:

(1) Confirm that you are using the chrome folder in the active profile through Help > Troubleshooting Information as described above; and

(2) Make sure you have not set your options/preferences to override page settings. Just let userContent.css do the work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jscher2000 For This Useful Post:

SF99 (2011-12-04)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast