1. New Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Unable to send or download email from Outlook

My email address was hacked on the Comcast Server and a bunch of spam was sent out to my complete address list. All the sent messages showed up in the Comcast Server Sent Folder so they were not sent from Outlook on my computer. I immediately changed my email password on the server, and am able to long in and send and receive while on the server. The problem is that I cannot get outlook to change the password to the new one. When sending test messages from outlook I get the error message that the server does not recognize my password. I have other accounts on Comcast that were not affected by the hacking and outlook continues to access them using the same settings as before. Does anyone know how to get outlook 2003 to accept a new password?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 990 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jud G View Post
    My email address was hacked on the Comcast Server and a bunch of spam was sent out to my complete address list. All the sent messages showed up in the Comcast Server Sent Folder so they were not sent from Outlook on my computer. I immediately changed my email password on the server, and am able to long in and send and receive while on the server. The problem is that I cannot get outlook to change the password to the new one. When sending test messages from outlook I get the error message that the server does not recognize my password. I have other accounts on Comcast that were not affected by the hacking and outlook continues to access them using the same settings as before. Does anyone know how to get outlook 2003 to accept a new password?
    You need to change the account details for the account in question. Have you tried to do that?

4. New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to send or receive email through outlook

Yes, I changed account details, I even deleted that account in outlook and re-entered it from scratch, using the same details, pop and smtp servers, etc, the only change being my new password. My two other accounts in Comcast work fine with these settings, the only difference is that this one has my new password in it. Outlook will not connect to the server and I get an error message that Outlook could not connect to the Server because the server did not accept the user name or password. I called Comcast, but they were no help.

Thanks for your help on this.

5. Administrator
    Thanks
    Just to remove Outlook as a factor, do you have any gmail account, for example? I was thinking that you could add the account to gmail, to see if the account is accessible from there.

6. New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to send or receive email through Outlook

Sorry I took so long to reply, I'm up at a mountain cabin and had to drive into town to check my email. You are correct, I tried to access my Comcast account through Juno, and Gmail, and neither would work. Both my other Comcast accounts worked from both of the other mail carriers, so it looks like it's Comcast's problem and now I have the evidence to have them take another look at my account.

THANKS

7. Administrator
    Thanks
    Hope they fix it quickly .