2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

shortcut waste of space

Hi. I’m new to the lounge, although have lurked here quite a bit.

I do have a question and wondered whether any of you brains out there can explain why I cannot get rid of a ‘realtek RTL8187 wif-fi Lan Utility’ shortcut button that is taking up valuable space on my baseline taskbar (Windows 7 Home Premium).

It does nothing but irritate me. Right clicking it only gives me one option: ‘Close window’. Which of course it doesn’t. I can find no programme to uninstall. Using Revo Uninstaller’s ‘hunt mode’ on the button I do get the options, such as ‘stop process’, ‘kill process’, ‘disable start-up’....but none of them does anything.

If memory serves me, the crab-like logo first made a system tray appearance after I installed a driver for a Kinamax wi-fi booster antenna nearly a year ago. I’m no longer using it.

Under Network adapters in Device Manager, I have an Atheros AR5B97 wireless network adapter; Broadcom NetLink Gigabit Ethernet; Huawei Mobile Connect – network adapter; and Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter. Nothing like RealTek there. Likewise under System Devices.

I’m not that sophisticated to dabble in the Registry, but if there’s a simple solution, even explanation, it would be gratefully received.

Tim

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Tim,

Welcome to the lounge as a new poster.

You can go to the Microsoft site for SysInternals and download the AutoRuns utility.
    Run the program as Administrator.
    Click on the Drivers Tab.
    Look for the RT8... entries and uncheck them.
    Reboot.
    Should fix the problem.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you RG....BUT to my amazement it didn't work. After reboot, checked Autoruns to find the entry was indeed unchecked, but the beast still reappeared. How I'm beginning to hate it!

Tim

Thanks
    Tim,

Try clicking the Everything tab and search through the whole list for anything that looks like realtek.

Update: If that doesn't work try going to the Realtek site, download the driver and reinstall, then run Revo Uninstaller to get rid of it.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Success! Thank you again. Went through that very long list under 'Everything' (is that why the laptop takes so long to boot up and necessary?) and under heading HKLM\system current control set\services found Realtek 87B. Unchecked it and without even rebooting the cursed shortcut vanished! Your forces of good computing are with me! Tim

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timsinc View Post
    is that why the laptop takes so long to boot up
    Tim,

You got it. I try to keep as much "JUNK" out of the boot process as possible. This often does require either using AutoRuns and experimenting and/or editing the Registry. One easy step to take is to be very careful when installing software, especially downloaded software, and uncheck all the boxes that want to install extra stuff. Sometimes you have to select custom install to see what is actually going on.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Many WiFi adapters use the Realtek chipset. I have several WiFi adapters, including the Atheros, and every one of them, including some On-Board LAN adapters all use the Realtek chipsets. It appears to be very popular among WiFi adapter builders.

Happy Holidays!
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!