Thanks

What else can I configure in Win7 ?

I set the CPU to 4 as I'm running Q9450 Intel processor w/8 gig DDR3.

Suggestions for other setting's ?? Image attached.cpu_msconfig1.JPG

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I've read, can't remember where, that setting the No. of Processors for the boot process doesn't really speedup booting. YMMV.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Yeah, I haven't noticed anything being any quicker yet.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagworld View Post

Suggestions for other setting's
    "Jag",
    Hello... Not for processors ...But with this "Tweak" WinBubbles you can set "7" up more to your liking... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Jagworld (2011-11-28)

Thanks
    Thx again, good link and ton of stuff for laptop running Vista.

Thanks
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Set your PF to minimum and a maximum values instead of a fixed.
    Get rid of System Restore and Remote computing.

Thanks
    This site is very helpful. Here.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    Turn off UAC as well. If your a competent computer user you will not need it.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Turn off UAC as well. If your a competent computer user you will not need it.
    Get rid of System Restore and Remote computing.
    But if you are "normal user" leave them turned on - they are there for a reason. You might never use them, but just as a seat belt and air bags in a car, you will regret not having them if you do need them.

Thanks
    Regarding both UAC and System Restore, you have to weigh the risks of disabling each.

System Restore does provide a good safety net as a last resort for rolling back to a state where things just worked in your Windows installation, with little cost to your Windows setup. SR in Windows 7 is better/more reliable than in earlier Windows versions. The Previous Versions feature can also be helpful in recovering a data file that has been corrupted, but it depends on System Restore in order to work. The amount of disk space allocated to SR can easily be adjusted in Win7 if your hard disk free space is getting a little tight. You have to use the command line in Vista to do so, but it is still adjustable.

For users who practice image backups, SR is of much less value, but still exists as a safety net.

UAC helps prevent software/malware from accessing your Windows kernel without your knowledge. It performs more or less the same function as root access authentication in Apple's OS X and in Linux OSes. UAC's Windows 7 default setting is much more livable and less annoying than in Vista. If I recall correctly, the Ultimate Windows Tweaker allows you to adjust Vista's UAC without losing all its benefits. Another part of a layered defense for your PC.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The CPU setting for booting is for limiting the number of CPUs used during boor for debugging purposes. By default Windows uses all the CPUs. See Tweaking myth - increase boot performance and Can a "secret" cpu setting really improve boot up time.

Also, the Maximum Memory setting is a debugging tool. It is used to simulate low memory conditions and test drivers.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks

Thanks
    This is only one of a hundred or more, forums, where the argument goes on and on about what can make a PC run better, and for everything that's brought up, some NaySayer will put it down. I've never understood what they get out of that. EH?

When I tune up a customer's PC, I don't ask them what I should do. I'm the tech, they're not, so I do what I do and watch their eyes get wider and wider as I make their PC run faster and faster. Then a typical response is "WOW, it didn't run that fast when it was new!". I know.

I'm so tired of being flamed and put down when I give my own speedup secrets, on a forum, that I won't even do it anymore.
    Let each person decide what they want to do with their own PC. The internet is full of speed tips.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    This is only one of a hundred or more, forums, where the argument goes on and on about what can make a PC run better, and for everything that's brought up, some NaySayer will put it down. I've never understood what they get out of that. EH?

When I tune up a customer's PC, I don't ask them what I should do. I'm the tech, they're not, so I do what I do and watch their eyes get wider and wider as I make their PC run faster and faster. Then a typical response is "WOW, it didn't run that fast when it was new!". I know.

I'm so tired of being flamed and put down when I give my own speedup secrets, on a forum, that I won't even do it anymore.
    Let each person decide what they want to do with their own PC. The internet is full of speed tips.
    Since it seems your post was a response to mine I'll respond again. My post was intended to present information about two of the "performance tweaks" that in reality do not improve performance. Read the linked posts they have some good information.

If you have hard and fast evidence that either of those changes made alone improves system performance please present it. You can't make a whole litany of changes to a system then see the system run somewhat faster and assume that each of the changes contributed. The only objective way is to measure what you expect to improve (probably multiple times), make one change, and measure again (probably multiple times). I just don't want people making changes that do no good and introduce a chance to mess up a system. If that makes me a "NaySayer" then so be it.

I also do not ask what I should do when working on PCs. I ask what the symptoms are and then start investigating. I change settings and fix things in the course of that investigation. Sometimes I get the same response and other times I don't. I don't really care as long as I'm confident that the system is better off (safer and more stable) than before I started.

My post was not intended to flame anyone. If you felt it was I apologize. I agree that each person can decide what they want to do with their PC.

Joe