3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is there a realiable web site that reviews on shows the reliability of ...

components? You can find reviews on performance but nothing reliable on components. You have the star system but I think that tends to be heavy to the bad results and you never know how many total units are sold. I was looking at an Hitachi 3T HD on Amazon and it had as many 1 stars as 5 stars, around 50 each, but if 2000 units were sold that's meaningless but if 500 units that significant.

Marc

Thanks
    [H]ardOCP is among the better sites as far as reviewing goes, but they tend to go higher end and cater to the power/gamer computer users.
    Newegg also offers reviews of all their products, but they should be read carefully and taken with a grain of salt.

What exactly are you looking for?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I need a 3T hard drive. For the most part any other component dying right away it's more of a hassle than anything else. With hard drives it's a different story, especially with these big drives. Getting everything moved than having that drive die is a PITA. The WD drives got OK reviews. The Seagate reviews are much better. The Hitachi drives are the ones that have as many 1 stars as 5 stars. I understand the grain of salt that's why I posted what I did about the Amazon reviews.

I was going to build a HTPC (that will also have a back up of my main computer) taking advantage of the Black Friday and Christmas pricing but that's on hold with the price increases. The price for HD alone was $300.00 now it's closer to $700.00. I was hoping to be able to hold of until the prices on hard drives dropped down to a more reasonable level but that doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon.

Marc

Thanks
    Your pricing is a bit off, I can see 3TB drives listed on Newegg for around 399
    Have you tried Craig's List or Ebay?

WD and Seagate are my mechanical drive preferences. Hatachi has gone downhill somewhat imo.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's for the one drive. I need a 1, 1.5, 2 and 3TB drives for the new computer and a second 3TB for the old computer. I have a Samsung and I see that they've gone to SSD drives exclusively.

Marc

Thanks
    You could, if you can get a good enough deal, build your HTPC now. But hold off on the storage drives until the first quarter of next year, or until
    these drives come down...if the pricing on the other components make it worth while.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What I do is up-grade my main computers MB and CPU and take the old ones and use them either in the bedroom or in this case the HTPC. I was going to add SSD drive to both computer for simplicity as much as anything. The way I have is set up are partitions for; Windows, Program Files, My Documents, Swap (on a different drive 1st partition) with one large partition for music. The balance of the drives are for storage of mainly music along with software and a back up of the Windows partition. I was going to move these to the SSD drive in their own partitions; Windows, Program Files, My Documents, Swap and Temp. The HTPC was going to be set up the same way but with a smaller SSD drive. The data drives would be the identical sizes on both computers.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might look at http://www.tomshardware.com/.
    Chuck

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I glanced at Toms Hardware and see if it doesn't have something about service records.

Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I glanced at Toms Hardware and see if it doesn't have something about service records.

Thanks