2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Making a system backup - Aesus v Win 7 v Acronis

I have just upgraded from XP to Win 7Home 64 bit and my Acronis True Image version will not work. I usedan image file several times in XP when I had real problems,effectively reformatting the hard drive and restoring the computerback to what it was a couple of weeks before. Rather than buy thelatest version I installed Easus Todo Backup but cannot decide how Ishould use it (the online help file is unclear) – do I need tocreate a WinPE bootable disk and then use “disk clone” or use“system backup”. I have also looked at the Win 7 built in programto create a system image and a system repair disk, which would maybedo the same job as Acronis. Can I please have some guidance.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 1,011 Posts
    You do not need the disk to create a backup, but you should create the disk for the situations where your computer won't boot. If it does not boot, the disk will allow you to boot and start EaseUS to restore an image.

I think you should have a look at the Backup & Security forum, there are several posts that can be useful regarding EaseUS use.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2011-11-29)

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Mike,
    If you use "clone," you must immediately remove your backup disk and save it. In the event of a FUBAR, you SWAP the old disk for the backup one.
    If you want to keep an up-to-date backup which you can RESTORE from, use the incremental or differential backup schemes.

Zig