Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio USA
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    troubleshooting a motherboard

    On a machine that is a due for replacement (Dell Dimension 4100) running XP and now failing to boot up, I need to find the problem. The power-up sounds normal with fans running, etc. but the only display is "check monitor cable". I installed a graphics card and plugged the monitor into the new card but still get same message. What else can I do to determine if the motherboard is shot or if it is another graphic/video issue? When the computer is plugged in there is a green light on the MB. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    WS Lounge VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    8,191
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 985 Times in 915 Posts
    Green light on the mobo means it has some power, usually standby power.
    The power supply may not have enough grunt to power the board, the CPU may have gone to god or the mobo may just not want to play ball.
    Unfortunately there are so many variables that you need a duplicate working machine and swap things until you find the culprit.

    cheers, Paul

  3. #3
    Gold Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Johnson City, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    3,202
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 215 Times in 202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulh7436 View Post
    What else can I do to determine if the motherboard is shot or if it is another graphic/video issue? When the computer is plugged in there is a green light on the MB. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    paul,
    Hello... Can you plug into a different monitor? ...Maybe even a TV if so equipped, some graphics cards have a HDMI output. I would suspect the monitor \ graphic issue. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

    None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

  4. #4
    Super Moderator CLiNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California & Arizona
    Posts
    6,121
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 609 Times in 557 Posts
    Troubleshooting a motherboard isn't easy, and it often entails removing components and testing as a "barebones" setup.

    Troubleshooting a motherboard
    troubleshooting a computer power supply

  5. #5
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio USA
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    paul,
    Hello... Can you plug into a different monitor? ...Maybe even a TV if so equipped, some graphics cards have a HDMI output. I would suspect the monitor \ graphic issue. Regards Fred
    There is no HDMI and I got the same message on two different monitors. Thanks!

  6. #6
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio USA
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Troubleshooting a motherboard isn't easy, and it often entails removing components and testing as a "barebones" setup.

    Troubleshooting a motherboard
    troubleshooting a computer power supply
    I will explore these sites and thanks for the suggestions.

  7. #7
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Slough, Berkshire UK
    Posts
    924
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 52 Times in 50 Posts
    Have you tried a different monitor cable in case yours is faulty?

  8. #8
    Lounge VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,168
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 134 Times in 115 Posts
    Dell Dimension PC's have a diagnostic array of LED's on the rear panel that makes basic hardware diagnostics much easier.

    The reference card for the Dimension 4100 is here. This should go a long way to giving you some idea about what system blocks are functioning and which may have failed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •