3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

deploying win7 on DVD

Hello everyone-I need to deploy win7 to my parents computer with minimum user input. I also need to add printer drivers, firefox, and other software. What is the best program or way of doing this?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    You might want to run the Win 7 Upgrade Adviser first. Pop in the DVD and choose Custom Install. Win 7 has the largest driver data base to date. It should have drivers for all devices assuming the Upgrade Adviser does not find anything. Install an excellent AV/AM app of your choice. Might I recommend MSE for this chore. You will have to download FF from the web site. I would also do all updates from Windows Update before installing any other software. Next install all other apps from their install disks or from their installed files.

You can download all installation files for the apps you want, including FF and save them to a flashdrive before you start. This might speed things up somewhat.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    I agree with Ted that the first step should be running the Windows Upgrade Advisor.

You did not say what OS is currently running on the PC. If it is XP you must do a clean install. There is no direct upgrade path from XP to Win7. Be sure to backup any data you wish to save before beginning the install process.

If the Windows 7 DVD does not have SP1 integrated, search the Windows 7 forum here for links to a download that does have SP1 integrated. That will save you a lot of time later.

Printer drivers may be the most problematic to find. I suggest you check the printer vendor's site to see if they have Windows 7 drivers. Sometimes, even if the vendor does not have Windows 7 drivers a very basic driver is included with Windows 7. Again, check the vendor site.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the recommendations. This will be a new install and not an upgrade. Would microsoft MDT work for this?

Thanks
    If it's a new install, plug in the DVD and press Install. You very well might have to go to the printer site for Win 7 drivers.

MS MDT is designed for large scale deployment on numerous PC's in a business environment, not for single PC installation. Win 7 installations generally go very easily so just go for it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I won't be there for the installation and therefore want to limit the calls I get from them asking me what to do as the installation is proceeding. I just want them to put the DVD in and have all required prompts during installation (Software key, time zone, network, etc.) be done for them.

Thanks
    Win 7 is the easiest install to date. Worked very well for me in several installations. You might check for the printer drivers ahead of time and pop them onto a flash drive and send it to them. I would also add the FF exe file and any apps they do not have installation media for. I would also consider sending a good AV/AM app along.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-11-29 at 17:36.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you want to script the installation process you'll need to use a tool such as MDT. But MDT may be overkill for a single installation. You ought to check out the Windows Automated Installation Kit.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Smile

Thanks Joe. I think this would work.