Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error creating Qry (2000 SR1)

I have an Ac2000 db in use at customers, but something odd happened (after >1yr reliable use) and now some code which creates a query on the fly no longer works. I can't find anything in the db which could be causing it.

This fails (the params are dummy but should work):
    Set qdf = db.CreateQueryDef("qryTest", "select jobno from jobs")
    I get error 3001 (Invalid argument) which makes no sense. Can't find anything in the KB on this. Any ideas what could be the cause?

We have fixed it temporarily by going back to the previous day's backup, but don't want to have to do that again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error creating Qry (2000 SR1)

It sounds like you might have picked up some corruption. Does a compact of the database have any effect?
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I Compact & Repair, I get the same Invalid Argument error 8 times while the status bar says 'Removing temporary objects' - the Help button in the Error dialog goes to the Jet Error 3001 page:
    >>
    You tried to perform an operation that involves a routine in a DLL, and one of the arguments to the routine is invalid. Check your entry to make sure you have specified the correct arguments, and then try the operation again.
    <<

Short of cut-and-pasting tables and forms (and there are *many*), what else can I try to nuke this corruption? Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Create a new database and import all the objects from the one that's giving you problems. Don't forget import/export specs and toolbars. If any of the objects refust to import, you'll know those are the ones causing you grief. You should be able to create replacement objects in the new database, and you may even be able to copy and paste the controls and code from the old ones. Make sure you turn on the DAO 3.6 reference in the new database and turn off the ADO reference unless you plan to go back and specify each of your objects as DAO.whatever.

The fact that it suddenly stopped running, and the nature of the message you're getting, makes me wonder if you've installed anything that updated some of your libraries so that the "reliable" code is now broken. You did check your references to make sure nothing is MISSING, right? And you have the DAO 3.6 reference set?

Have you tried a <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=acc&Number=44732&page=& view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post44732>decompile</A> before recompiling and running compact?
    Charlotte