Thanks

Syncing with an IMAP account

When I set up the IMAP account I have now, I had everything in PSTs and "uploaded" it all. If I set up an IMAP account fresh, does all the "Sent" and created files and folders all sync -- both ways? So, if I have mail on the server, and different mail in a PST, if I set up the address to sync to the IMAP account, will it upload all the PST info AND then download all the server info so that now both have all of everything?

I ask because [with 1and1], if I use their web mail, when I download to a PST, all tat gets downloaded is the Inbox, nothing else.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    If I set up an IMAP account fresh, does all the "Sent" and created files and folders all sync -- both ways? So, if I have mail on the server, and different mail in a PST, if I set up the address to sync to the IMAP account, will it upload all the PST info AND then download all the server info so that now both have all of everything?
    "PST" is ambiguous in this context. There is the PST that contains your local folders such as Contacts and Calendar, and there is the PST that mirrors your IMAP account mail folders on the server. Which PST are you asking about??

In Outlook, your IMAP folders are a mirror of what is on the mail server. Whatever you copied into your IMAP folders in Outlook should have been sync'd to the server. You can use the webmail interface to verify that.

If you were to delete and re-create the IMAP account in Outlook, the folders should be populated with whatever is up there on the server. Outlook would not automatically import anything from your local folders.

Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    I ask because [with 1and1], if I use their web mail, when I download to a PST, all tat gets downloaded is the Inbox, nothing else.
    If you set up your account using the POP3 protocol, you will only get the Inbox in your local folders PST.

If you set up your account using the IMAP protocol, numerous folders will sync. Outlook lets you choose which folders sync in the IMAP Folders dialog. (On this computer, I don't have any IMAP accounts, but I think it's on the right-click menu and maybe also on the File tab on the ribbon.)

Does that check out?

Thanks
    So Jefferson, if I were to "go back" to POP from having the account be an IMAP, could/should I then copy all the folders, exclusive of the Inbox, so that after I create the POP I can just move them into it?

I've just found the IMAP to be difficult to manage from a SPAM standpoint [the choices of blockers is not as workable], and I'm having syncing issues with Nelson E-mail Organizer. And, I actually prefer not to have my inbox automatically "populated" with new mail, but rather to control the send/delivery times myself.

So...would that [above] work for "reverting" to POP?

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    You should able to control the Send/Receive schedule for any kind of mailbox, POP, IMAP, or Exchange. I believe they all use the same Send/Receive Group dialog.

As for reverting, yes, that makes sense. You might want to copy the IMAP Inbox to a fresh PST just in case it isn't all retrieved when you re-setup the account as a POP account.

Thanks
    Okay, thanks. Maybe what I'll do is leave all my e-mail addresses as IMAP except for the one that I spend all the time in. That way my control will be better -- hopefully!

Chuck