New Lounger
    Thanks

Print Spooler service stopped, won't stay started

PROBLEM:
    HP DeskJet 812C long attached to a Dell PC with Windows XP SP3 suddenly doesn't work -- Printers and Faxes applet shows no printers at all. Trying to Add a printer pops an error that the Print Spooler is not started.

Go to Services: Print Spooler, set at Automatic start with Local System logon, is stopped. Try to start it. Says it's started, but right-click shows START available. Start again. Go to printers, Add printer, spooler not started.

I have
    (a) Copied Spoolsv.EXE, Spoolss.dll and RPCSS.DLL of the same version from another XP SP3 computer while in Safe Mode. No change.
    (b) Tried to do a System Restore, only to fail three times and ultimately find no system restore points available.
    (c) Re-run XP SP3, then the following patches.
    (d) Cleaned out Deskjet references in the registry by hand from appropriate locations.
    (e) Of course, looked at the combined wisdom of the planet on the Internet for this error.

Finally, I restarted and got the "Found a device" plug'n'play wizard, which tooled away at loading the Deskjet driver and, at the end, FAILED with

RPC Server is unavailable.
    I even unstalled and reinstalled the after-market NetMos PCI 9605 Parallel port driver.

I've spent about 8 hours on this and am out of ideas. Seems like a corrupt driver, but HP doesn't offer the Deskjet 810C/812C driver any more, and I'm not even sure that's the problem -- maybe another driver is gumming up the works (it's my daughter's 'homework' PC). Any ideas?

Thank you,
    Andy
    Andy Kass (askandy)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you checked the event logs?

Have you run the Microsoft Fixit for printers - http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9740813?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Joe. Hang a big DUH sign on me for not checking the Event logs! However, I did a few laps with Fixit and got nowhere. Will examine the system log and app log and post when I get back to that PC.

Andy
    Andy Kass (askandy)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sometimes the printer object can go corrupt. I've seen that almost as often as a corrupt driver. Just delete the printer and let it re-find the printer and recreate. It won't delete the driver doing this, just the printer object in the printers applet.
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Doc, but one of the issues that indicated the problem was that all printer objects had disappeared from the Printers applet. Nothing there to delete. I did clean the appropriate Deskjet references from the registry (after exporting the appropriate .reg nodes) by hand.
    Andy Kass (askandy)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, all,

Got the logs from the computer. Interestingly enough, no print driver issues -- video and TV, which is weird, because the system doesn't have a TV interface:

System Events (Warnings/Errors) following boot and attempted Plug'n'Play manual install of HP DeskJet 810C from C:\i386:

12/4/2011 7:28:35 PM Print Warning None 20 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM [Computer Name]
    Printer Driver HP DeskJet 810C for Windows NT x86 Version-3 was added or updated. Files:- UNIDRV.DLL, UNIDRVUI.DLL, HPVDJ810.GPD, UNIDRV.HLP, UNIRES.DLL, STDNAMES.GPD, HPVDJ50.INI, HPVUD50.DLL, HPVUI50.DLL, HPVIMG50.DLL, HPV880AL.DLL, HPVDJ89X.GPD, HPVDJ200.HLP, HPVNAM50.GPD.

12/4/2011 7:25:29 PM Service Control Manager Error None 7034 N/A [Computer Name]
    The NVIDIA Display Driver Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

Application Event, same provenance:

12/4/2011 7:25:01 PM Media Center Receiver Error None 4 N/A [Computer Name]
    TV tuner malfunction. (0x80040265) Syntek TvTuner

To me, the Media Center Receiver could be one of the recording utilities that my daughter installed for her "Let's Play" game narratives; not sure if this is what is honking up the printers, but it's a start.

Any further thoughts welcome. Thanks again,

Andy
    Andy Kass (askandy)