Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Perhaps the memory is not 100% compatible with your motherboard and BIOS, or the BIOS may have a bug at 8GB, or one 4GB stick is bad.

In any case, 6144MB is 6GB, so the BIOS is reporting the 2GB + 4GB combination correctly.

One final thing you might try is to verify the same behaviour happens when you swap the 4GB sticks - ie 2GB + 4GB = 6GB no matter which 4GB stick you use. That makes sure both 4GB are ok.

Then, unless you have a strong desire to go to 8GB, and that could get expensive trying to find combinations of memory that work together, it might be better just to accept the 6GB and put the spare 4GB stick on eBay(!).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a bit of an update.

I down loaded and run AUSLOGICS benchmark software and uploaded the result.
    Funnily enough the best results came from the 2 X 2Gb memory.
    Even though the mixed result 1 X 2gb + 1 X 4gb showed more memory.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Tinto
    Yes I did try both 4gb memory sticks in both slots and it always gives the same results 6gb.
    Bizarre
    Given the benchmark test I will return the memory and stick with the 2 X 2gb.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    My experience is that not all memory is alike, even if it seems to be, spec wise. No benchmark test can measure the performance difference that comes from your system not having to resort to disk swapping (which will occur with just 4 GB). I would probably give Crucial a try, I have found their memory to always work with one exception and the single case where it didn't, they took it back without any issues.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-12-01 at 07:11.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Re the benchmark, it might have been because with 2GB + 4GB your are not running dual channel, so there is a RAM I/O performance hit - though with 6GB compared to 4GB your overall experience will probably improve due to less disk swapping.

If the laptop that is used for general purpose work, I would stay on 6GB and not worry too much. On the other hand, if it is used for performance hungry apps, them maybe go to Crucial as ruirib says. They are very good.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi guys and gals

I have decided to return , in fact i have just got back from posting it the memory.
    If its not working correctly it seems a waste of time and money going there.
    May decide to try paying £50 more for so called better make? but its another 50% on the price of this lot.
    Will decide later.
    Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12