5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Different ways to move user folders

LANGALIST PLUS

Different ways to move user folders

By Fred Langa

Win7's symlink technology and folder Location tabs let you put folders where you want.

But just because Windows lets you move important folders doesn't mean you should. Read on for the full story.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/different-ways-to-move-user-folders/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As a part of Fred's article in the most recent newsletter, he highlights Win 7's free snipping tool. There is another free snipping tool that is more robust... PicPick. http://www.picpick.org/features It's free for personal use and includes more in depth annotation tools and options. If you want to take your screen capture tools to the top, the best one I've seen (and use daily) is SnagIt http://www.techsmith.com/snagit3-1111.html It is not free but does an excellent job!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Snipping Tool & OneNote

Another nice feature of the Snipping Tool is that a capture can be sent directly to OneNote if that is installed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In Fred's column, there is a section titled "Need to run Win98; will a virtual PC help?". For a dedicated application such as speaker control, I recommend using an old laptop. Most people have an old laptop or two gathering dust that would have no problem running Windows 98. You can also use VNC to provide remote access from the PC you normally use. Of course, I wouldn't do anything else such as web browsing from the Win98 system, but it would work fine for this specific task. You eliminate the layers of dealing with a virtual machine and layers of hardware redirection.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A virtual PC, for the purpose stated, would be total overkill. Altec Lansing speakers from that era (I still use the ACS495 model that I used with Win98SE) have buttons/knobs to operate all functions, and my Win7 Realtec HD Audio Manager handles all the fancy non-button type functions for sound, and all normal stuff except for changing from Stereo to ProLogic mode. i.e. The only benefit of Win98's USB connection is that you could change into/out of ProLogic mode with a few mouse clicks, instead of holding down one button on top of the right speaker for 3 seconds.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Question System folders and SSD usage

May I suggest?
    When a reader asked for your help on accomplishing his goals for using his SSD.
    quoted below, your answer seems to ignore his reasons for wanting to move system folders.
    Even though you linked some valuable sources for the info he was seeking, your
    (and many others, like at Wilder's Security Forums) respond as though you don't understand
    the differences between HDD's and SSD's. Until SSD technology gets a little more mature,
    SSD's will have short lifespans, and lose their speed advantage, with the massive frequent
    writes by many OS's including Windows 7 and XP. At least Windows 7 seems SSD aware in
    its disk formatting and turning some of its Services off, but this is a real concern to those
    of us who jumped into this technology.
    "Trouble when trying to move user folders
    Reader Terry Farrell felt like he’d run into a wall when he tried to move selected folders.

• “I’d really appreciate it if Fred would produce a guide on how to defeat Microsoft and achieve the impossible!
      “On my main PC, I have a small solid-state drive that holds the operating system. To minimize SSD access and make backups easier, I want to move the user and public folders to the regular hard drive.
      “Windows just doesn’t seem to like my attempts to relocate anything in Users!”
    Your answer began:
    It’s not impossible, Terry; I’ll tell you how in a moment. But moving folders isn’t something that I recommend.
    My immediate impression was that, I guess we should just leave everything alone and let Windows 7 burn up the drive in a few months??

In my own installation, I found problems running the recommended scripts during installation, because I was installing W7Pro UPGRADE to "upgrade itself",
    and couldn't figure out how to make the script work properly because it couldn't find the unattend file which was on the HDD. So I just did the relocation of My Documents, etc,
    after installation using W7's built-in methods.
    DrWattsOn
    Last edited by drwattson; 2011-12-05 at 18:08.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When you have moved \users of of c:\ you can't upgrade to windows 8 !!!!! See what microsoft answers

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-89ac08411b0b/

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by metramo View Post
    When you have moved \users of of c:\ you can't upgrade to windows 8 !!!!! See what microsoft answers

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-89ac08411b0b/
    With a bit of effort you could recover from such a situation, but the fact that you can't do an upgrade was known. I confess I am not sure whether than extends to a clean install situation, too.