New Lounger
    Thanks

How to backup a NAS drive

My home network has a network attached storage (NAS) drive for all the data. I want to back it up. Previously I've use Acronis True Image but have had problems with v2010 through v2012 and incremental backups. The problem in short happens when TI gets to a step where it is "cloning" the previous backup. That cloning hangs. I've let it run for 3 days at which point it said there was 3 weeks remaining. I've asked Acronis support for help but they do not seem to be interested in providing any help.

My question to you is what other software is there for backing up a NAS drive? (If someone has a clue what TI is doing, that would also be appreciated.)

Thanks
    Brian

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Brian,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster.

Does your NAS have the capability to be attached to a computer via USB? If it does I would suggest you attach it that way for making of backups as it will be considerably faster than over Ethernet.

I would also recommend that you try making a new Full Image using Acronis 2010 {seems to be the last stable version} or you could try Macrium Reflect Free or EaseUS ToDo Backup Free.

Also if you only have Data on your NAS you could look into RoboCopy or SyncToy for doing incremental backups of the data.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can't be sure about this, but I don't think Acronis will be able to clone a network drive.

The reason is because as far as the OS is concerned it is a disk drive, but in fact it is a network device with a management interface, so Acronis won't be able to access the drive at a low level and can only access it through the NAS interface firmware. For example if the NAS implements anything other than one single physical hard disk, you will have spanning, or RAID or JBOD which will be managed by the NAS embedded OS (likely to be Linux).

If it is a single physical drive, you could remove it from the NAS and mount it either natively or via a USB caddy then get Acronis to clone the drive, but that's not exactly convenient and may still come with a lot of the NAS baggage.

An alternative might be to use tools runing from within Windows, such as SyncBack which I think would see the disk through the Windows OS as a simple volume and be able to copy files and folders as required.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, you want a file level backup in any case, not be messing around with headless RAID or JBOD backups because if the unit goes south on ya...you may not be able to reconstitute the backup in a new unit. With file level backup...don't have to worry about any of that and the backup is self-contained and easy to move to another location.``

I happen to use Syncback, but for my huge NAS with very large media files, I just drag and drop to both locations as I'm saving...even though its a 5.7 TB RAID 5 I still have to guard against unit damage or destruction.
    Last edited by Infinicore; 2011-12-09 at 14:08.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by byg7668 View Post

My question to you is what other software is there for backing up a NAS drive? (If someone has a clue what TI is doing, that would also be appreciated.)
    Brian,
    Hello... Checkout this link...KBRegards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-12-10 at 15:39.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I know Handy Backup makes NAS backup, maybe someone will need.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion. Handy Backup looks interesting, but browsing its site, it states that it can backup a PC to NAS storage. But it is not clearly stated if it can or cannot work the other way. I have all my data on a NAS drive that is mounted and shared to all my PCs. I need to be able to backup that network share to a USB hard drive attached to one of my PCs. Currently there is about 300GB of data on that NAS drive.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To the best of my concern, Handy Backup supports NAS in both ways. When it comes to setting up a NAS a data source, it is either computer, or network options in Handy Backup, on the "What to back up" step. Plus, Handy Backup has recently got a Linux version, which gives a chance to use the Handy Backup Network edition directly: you install the backup management panel on your machine and the remote backup agent on the NAS. In my case this scenario gave a notable backup speedup.