Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using Easy BCD - how do i get to the original boot up configuration?

i am just using one boot- Win7, SP1. so when i turn on the computer, it does the usual Win 7 normal startup sequences.

without elaborating, things happen, now the sequencing shows two possible booting options. i deleted the possible option i do not want.

so far so good.

but when i boot up- a screen appears for a few seconds- acting as if i can make a choice. how do i make that screen disappear. so when i boot up again- it performs the usual normal Win 7 startup procedures? smooth as silk, like before.

thanks for your help.

Thanks
    What, if anything, got changed when this new boot menu started? It sounds as though something attempted to install a new OS. When I needed to repair a boot menu, I stuck my installation disk or my system repair disk in the DVD drive and ran a repair install. I chose repair my PC. Windows found the boot problem and fixed it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    What, if anything, got changed when this new boot menu started? It sounds as though something attempted to install a new OS. When I needed to repair a boot menu, I stuck my installation disk or my system repair disk in the DVD drive and ran a repair install. I chose repair my PC. Windows found the boot problem and fixed it.
    i was doing a win 7, sp1 re-install. it stopped reinstalling and returns to the original install screen. i reboot and appears 2 choices- i can select Win7 or another choice (i forgot what it was - something about win 7) so apparently the reinstall was incomplete and affected boot menu.

so that the reinstall was the only thing that changed.

i used Easy BCD to clean up the offending boot which it did. but repeating myself, upon booting it presents the option screen and then continues on. Easy BCD shows where you can pick how many seconds you want to wait to continue booting. i change it from 10 to 5 seconds.

there must be a way to correct this.

any suggestions?
    Last edited by StephenwjC; 2011-12-01 at 08:51.

Thanks
    You might have to finish the SP1 install to fix this. Otherwise a repair install might help. I would also download the Win 7 iso file including SP1, burn the file to disk (right click the file and choose Burn To Disk) then use this DVD to attempt the repair install.

Aborted installations can leave all kinds of problems on the system. You might even find that a complete reinstall is needed. If that is the case I would still use the iso file and your original key. Backup all your data, and ensure you have the installation media for apps installed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks ted,
    you are right - and this was a corrupted file abortion and did leave a screwed up boot. i wonder what would happen if i just delete the easy bcd program? i wonder?

Thanks
    I do not think the EasyBCD app is causing the problem. This is an excellent app for helping solve boot problems. I do not think you have a boot problem so much as an aborted/corrupted installation. I really think less time will be spent simply starting from scratch with the iso file.

Once eveything is back the way it should be, look into Imaging so that restoration from these problems takes about 10 minutes. I know, locking the barn door after the horse has already escaped. For future reference!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

StephenwjC (2011-12-03)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I do not think the EasyBCD app is causing the problem. This is an excellent app for helping solve boot problems. I do not think you have a boot problem so much as an aborted/corrupted installation. I really think less time will be spent simply starting from scratch with the iso file.
    i completely agree with you. and deleting the bcd program is not the answer.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try using msconfig to remove the other entry from the boot menu. Once there is only one entry the boot screen won't show again.

To access this click the start orb or press the Windows key and type "msconfig" without the quotes and hit enter. Click the boot tab and it should be self explanatory from there.

Make sure to remove the correct one though!