New Lounger
    Thanks

Monitor swapping (tricky)

Since I did install of MSDN downloaded copy of Windows 7 (got it before release date) and up to day I have the same big problem which, by adding AV receiver with HDMI input connectors into home AV network, it exploded these day. It is tricky and I don't know how to solve it and I am with computers for over 25 years, with all versions of Windows... in short: hardly there are secrets for me.

I did post same question on several places, even on MS forums and no one has even replied.

Background: at the moment I did install Windows 7 I had both monitor and TV set plugged in into graphic card. Somehow Windows 7 decided that TV set is my primary screen and monitor secondary. Looks like it is giving priority to HDMI output over DVI.

In previous version of Windows, that is XP, I had also graphic card + TV set, but TV set has worked as "mirror" (duplicate). It seems that option has gone and now I have extended desktop monitor+TV (1900x1200 + 1900x1080). What is that used for? When I run Media Player Classic fullscreen, it "jups" onto TV until end of reproduction then "jumps" back into window on monitor. Nice feature though.

Last week I finally bought an AV receiver with HDMI input connectors to make it a center of TV/audio, something like AV "switch". At least, I was hopping so.

And then problem started. Issue is that some component in my system (TV, AV receiver or PC) is playing too smart. When I switch TV to AV receiver HDMI input, my Windows swap displays so my first monitor become second (second become first) and then some programs "jumps" onto second monitor. When I switch back TV set from AV receiver HDMI input to something else, Windows do a swap of monitors again. After I do that I see some running programs icons at Taskbar, but their actual window is now not on my monitor - they are on extended desktop second monitor (TV). So I need to turn TV to AV receiver input to see extended desktop to be able to move those "runners" back to first monitor.

For example, if I had Firefox on monitor and when I do what I had described above, I end up with Firefox on second display (TV) and I see its icon in my Taskbar. Then, if I close and reopen it, it opens again on second display. So I need to switch on TV to see extended desktop to be able to move Firefox window back on monitor.

I found there are at least 4 programs who likes to "jumps" to extended desktop.

What I want to do - as I think Windows 7 is the one playing too smart here - is to fix displays, to make my monitor as "1" (currently it has mark "2" over it), to make it primary and first and to turn off that function of monitors swapping.

What _I think_ is happening is that my AV receiver is sending some kind of signal through HDMI back to PC, graphic card got that info, pass to Windows and it thinks that it has to swap screens. That is some kind of "control over HDMI" (you know, there are features like when you turn on TV, TV is capable to turn on AV receiver over HDMI so you don't have to use 2 remote controllers...).

So I need a real expert for this as the problem is tricky and unique - I did not found similar anywhere. Here is a screen cap to see what I see:

Viewsonic is a monitor, TX-NR509 is an AV receiver.

Question is: can I make my monitor "1" and fix it as is whatever HDMI "tells" Windows to do.
    Last edited by branislav_m; 2011-12-01 at 02:34.

Thanks
    Select the Viewsonic in the "Display" dropdown, then check the box for "Make this my main display". That should make it become "1".
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Select the Viewsonic in the "Display" dropdown, then check the box for "Make this my main display". That should make it become "1".
    Too obvious. Viewsonic is already "main display" but it stays as "2" - as you can see from pic - AV receiver does not have that check-box ticked which means Viewsonic is "main".

Maybe I should post another picture with Viewsonic selected (my fault). However, problem remains, Windows keep swapping displays.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by branislav_m View Post
    Too obvious. Viewsonic is already "main display" but it stays as "2" - as you can see from pic - AV receiver does not have that check-box ticked which means Viewsonic is "main".

Maybe I should post another picture with Viewsonic selected (my fault). However, problem remains, Windows keep swapping displays.
    It isn't necessarily Windows that is swapping displays. There are some applications that will only appear on the main display. Perhaps the application(s) themselves can be reconfigured to appear on the other display. Some cannot.
    A friend has a security camera display that shows 12 camera views in a grid on the main display, but only on the main display. The application will not display the security camera views on the secondary display. The application will launch, but it won't display the camera views.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If I could force app like Total Commander or Firefox or VLC media player to open and stay on Viewsonic that will help, but I could not.

Forcing them to stay on primary display also does not help as in my scenario Windows keep swapping displays _only_ in case when TV set is switched to HDMI input from AV receiver. Then (I think) AV receiver send something to Windows over HDMI cable to let Windows know that it has pass through to TV. Something like that, it is only my wild guess.

PS. Also I have another issue, single application related. When I have running game World of Tanks full screen on Viewsonic, and in above scenario, Windows do what it does and on Viewsonic it switch to desktop leaving game in background and doing a very often screen refresh, like 3 times in second. As that game can work only on the monitor (for some reason) and since I cannot close it (as if I do right click, refresh remove content menu instantly) it just keep refreshing until I remove HDMI cable from graphic card. Then everything is back to normal.

Weird, ain't it?
    Last edited by branislav_m; 2011-12-01 at 08:08.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm having the same display swapping issue as the OP, but it's only started since I added an Onkyo TX-NR609 to my system. Before that I just ran HDMI straight to my TV, and there was never any issue when the TV was turned off. Now, if the receiver and TV are both off there is no issue, but if I turn on the receiver and select the PC input but leave the TV off, then the displays swap and I can't see everything I was working on my monitor. Of course, once I turn on the TV, the displays swap again, so my monitor returns to being the main display, but all my open windows are left on the TV.

Tell me if you figure anything out...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @Average Moe

Guess what I did at the end?

I am not using Onkyo HDMI connectors at all, and it is not - as I thought it would be - the audio/video center in my home. I am using it as audio amplifier and I am superb satisfied with that.

I can't believe that such a big company and such a great receiver fails at such simple tasks.