New Lounger
    Thanks

Vista 64 bit and iTunes leave me a broken man RESOLVED

Ladies and gentlemen, i stand before you a broken man. For two days i have battled with the creature known as iTunes 64bit for Vista. I have read dozens and dozens of pages from fellow battle weary warriors most of which end exhausted and spent. Their hair a lot greyer and their blood pressure set to bubble and boil. The tales of woe I read stretch the whole world over. No one escapes the fiendish labyrinth you must travel to get this "simple" bit of kit installed onto your machine. I've installed and uninstalled many many times (using Revo, using Windows Installer Cleanup. I've removed all traces of the old from anywhere and everywhere that the beast could conceivable live. I've even altered registry permissions using RegAssin. I've even thought about a soft intall using my Vista disc but that might be a little extreme. What would I lose? Could it be any worse than losing my sanity? Anyway, it all starts with the message UNKNOWN and then a stack of numbers and letters. I've been to the place where these scary nameless files reside and tried to tame them but each time i try to install iTunes it's like it's taunting me and it just has loads more letters and numbers and it just rolls back smug in the knowledge that it's beaten me again. I have had it working in the past on this machine and the daughter who has just recently bought the latest iphone needs it again to transfer all her apps and music. Knowing when to concede to defeat is a bitter pill to swallow and I don't consider myself to be that lacking in knowledge or understanding but everyone has their day and this one belongs to Apple. So good folk of the web, bearing in mind I've read a tome of information already. Could you help a poor man regain some sort of standing with his daughter. I do hope so. Any help given would be much appreciated.

mikey b

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    More details about the error messages please. A screenshot might help.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe, thanksfor replying. i must tell you that i have full administrator rights on thismachine. after i have yet again gone through several sites suggestion onremoving all traces of itunes, quicktime and bonjour. i also stop all servicesconnected to these programs. the installation, made up of several itunescomponents, stops and a small message box pops up. it says 'could not open keyunknown' F615E2FBCAB327849B496652CB2DE94D/DF97238AB4AC60245953D979D47E6645 andalso 25E80ACDE4D8FA340A7FB908F9CCEFFB\2B0163E6D034DBE41 83EB2758E9EDD8 and21CCA8258A4DED1129F7858D55D5939\2B0163E6D0340BE 4183EB2758E9BEDD8 and after eachit just rolls back the installation. i must admit that i don't know whetherthese keys are just deletable or not. but i am not alone in 64bit circles thatthis baffling piece of kit refuses to just update like about 90% (guesstimatedfigure) of stuff. hope this helps, thanks

mikey b

Administrator
    Thanks
    Unless you are running under the builtin Administrator account or have changed default security you may be running as a member of the administrator group but not have the same rights as the builtin Administrator account. Beginning with Vista user accounts, even those in the administrator group, do NOT have full unfettered access to the system.

Have you tried installing in safe mode?
    Have you used "Run as administrator" when starting the install?
    Of the many pages you've read were some from the Apple support forums? Have you checked there?
    Are you using the Apple software updater or a separately downloaded Itunes install package?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe, sorry i've been away a bit but i've been trying what you suggested but alsa it's still a no go. I've read every apple owners help and suggestions page i could find and I found out, using the cmd with admin privileges, how to become the built in administrator. I tried to install itunes (obtained from the apple site) and run as admin but got all the same errors that i always get. I tried starting in safe mode but got the message the windows installer service is not accessible in safe mode. In desperation i tried to delete all the key numbers that were stopping the install but couldn't do that not even with File Assassin'. I've just tried to do a stand alone install of Quicktime but got all the same unknown key messages and roll back. Is it possible to put my vista installation disc in and repair or overwrite what ever is causing my problem. I'm now officially at a dead end.

Mikey B

Administrator
    Thanks
    I doubt that a repair install will fix the keys but it may. If you choose to try it be sure to back up your system before you start.

You may have to consider a clean reinstall.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Woe is me.

Thanks for your help Joe.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    all is now well and good. the pages from this site helped me reinstall my itunes 64bit http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-1836fe752725

Administrator
    Thanks
    Good for you. Nice persistence. Thanks for posting back your success.

Joe