Thread: Proxy?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Proxy?

Looking for help here, I have the Linksys 8200 router (very good BTW) with 4-5 home computers attached to it via wireless and wired. I started wondering if I could set the router to always go through opendns to give better security (which I discovered I could, but haven't watched the youtube clip yet). Then I thought, wouldn't it be better to set a proxy connection on the router so ALL home computers go through it rather than setting up each computer to go via proxy in the browser set ups. Is such a thing possible? Safer and also when guests use the computer potentially less problematic. Any ideas anyone?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Personally I don't think opendns provides more security - maybe less access to really dodgy sites.

If you set the router up to use opendns you do not need to change anything on the PCs. The router does all the internet work via opendns and sends the results to the PCs.
    To check what DNS your PC uses open a Command Prompt and type "ipconfig /all" without the brackets. This will list the DNS settings.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Here is an older article on the subject;http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2163026,00.asp
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I didn't want to use opendns on the router, just whether I could find a free proxy on the I/net to put into the router to give some global security etc for all home computers. Any ideas with the Linksys? I'll look at the recommended article now Chowur.