New Lounger
    Thanks

System files on two drives after a restore

I have two physical drives, my C: drive and a data drive with E: and M: drives. I used Windows Back up and Restore, System Image, to back up the C: drive, and sync all my data files regularly to external hard drives separately - I don't use Windows Backup and Restore for those drives. I had to restore my C: drive (my bad, doing stupid things) and was able to do that with no real problems. But now, when I look at my E: data drive I have Boot and bootmgr hidden files (see image). My C: drive doesn't have those specific folders on it in the root directory.
    E drive.jpg
    When I go to do a backup, a System Image, now, it won't let me just back up the C: drive - it tells me I have to back up the C: and E: drives, as both drives are "system" drives and required to successfully restore the system (paraphrasing). I expect it's because of these boot-related directories. I don't want to do that.

I'd like to get all the system folders back on the C: drive. I'd like things to be like they were before! I can, of course, just back up both drives, but it takes a ton of time and space, as the E: drive is pretty big. I can do a "regular" backup of the C: drive rather than a system image - in other words, I can work around it - but if any of you know what happened, and how I can get back to the way it was, I'd be obliged.

Cecil

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I would switch to a good 3rd party app instead of the basic Win 7 Backup and Restore. Many excellent possibilities are discussed throughout the Security and Backup Forum. Win 7 Backup and Restore has shown mixed results and is pretty basic.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

cdebald (2011-12-02)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Found EasyBCD, freeware (for private use) that rebuilt the boot files and directories on my C: drive. Worked like a charm. Did have to reformat my E drive to get rid of the boot directory, nothing else worked, but that was the easy part.

Thanks
    Glad you got it worked out. EasyBCD has been discussed numerous times throughout these forum and is considered an excellent app to assist with MBR problems for Windows and Linux.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy