Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Understanding Windows 7 file structure

I have just changed from XP to Windows7 and am struggling with the file structure (amongst other things).Using a duplicate file finder I discover that I have loaded twocopies of every one of my picture folders, one lot underC;\users\Public\Public Pictures and the other under C:\users\{name}\My Pictures. When I click on Libraries\My Pictures all my picturefolders are displayed, but if I click on the small arrow to the leftof My Pictures a new “folder” Public Pictures is displayed, whichshows all of the same folders. I want to delete one of the duplicatesets – which do I delete ?. The same thing applies to the MyDocuments folder, which is also listed as duplicated.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Public folders are used to automatically share the files within on your network. If you want to delete from somewhere, that's the place.
    I am not sure about My Documents duplication. Do you care to provide more info?

Thanks
    This MS TechNet FAQ can help in understanding why you find what appears to be a copy of your files in the default Windows Libraries.

This How To Geek article is also very helpful.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

Jagworld (2012-11-10)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File Structure

I have attached three images showing the places where the files can be viewed. According to the duplicate finder the images are stored twice. I have solved the duplicate my documents problem - it was reading the XP copy which I had copied to the new computer and then again copied to the Libraries folder. Of the three locations shown on the screen shots only two are "real" - I want to delete one of those two sets but which one - maybe the C\:Users\Mike\My Pictures. All was perfectly understandable in XP but I am lost in Win 7.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I get the idea now - all files are stored in C:\users\{name}\etc but things like pictures can be easily accessed via Libraries. In XP I had one vast My Documents folder with lots of sub-folders including a number for pictures. I had dragged all of the picture folders to Libraries\Pictures. What I need to do is put the various picture folders back in C:\users\....\My Documents and then link them to Libraries\My Pictures - I think. The How To Geek article was very useful - I also see that I am not the only one to struggle.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21 View Post
    I think I get the idea now - all files are stored in C:\users\{name}\etc but things like pictures can be easily accessed via Libraries. In XP I had one vast My Documents folder with lots of sub-folders including a number for pictures. I had dragged all of the picture folders to Libraries\Pictures. What I need to do is put the various picture folders back in C:\users\....\My Documents and then link them to Libraries\My Pictures - I think. The How To Geek article was very useful - I also see that I am not the only one to struggle.
    Glad the article helped. You definitely would not want to delete the folders in C:\users\username\... because these are your actual files. The files shown in your Libraries are not really duplicates. They are reflections or virtual folders that point back to the real folders under your user folder. If you delete the folders/files in your C:\users\username\... then you will see those file names disappear from your Libraries, for example your "Pictures" in the Libraries. But it is also true that if you delete any folders in your Pictures Library, the real folders under C:\Users... will be deleted as well, so great care must be taken when deleting one or the other, as what you do to folders in either location affects the other.

You can delete the pictures contained in C:\Users\Public\Public Pictures, and any picture file names located in the Public Pictures Library folder will be removed. If you are sure you have a copy of those pictures in your C:\Users\YourUserName\My Pictures, then you can safely delete the pictures from your C:\Users\Public\Public Pictures folder.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Public folders are used to automatically share the files within on your network.
    I think its only local sharing among users of the same computer by default; I believe it has to be turned on in advanced sharing settings to be available to network users.

One thing that can help put more certainty in a library folder is to put the view into details and then add "folder path" as one of the header columns...then you know where each folder actually is!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yet another reason why I will never go to 7 and probably 8. Ridiculous structuring. Ugh.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mpioso View Post
    Yet another reason why I will never go to 7 and probably 8. Ridiculous structuring. Ugh.
    Upgrade denial will not help anyone after the 2014 date on which Windows XP will no longer receive any updates from Microsoft Updates.
    -- Bob Primak --

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This discussion and confusion is one reason why I have avoided both Public Folders and Libraries. It's not immediately clear what they do or how the sharing works. Instead, I simply create a folder when necessary and set the permissions specifically. Then I always know what is shared and who it is shared with.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mpioso View Post
    I do not agree with this. You can have the same sharing you had on XP, on 7. I use it the same way. Windows 7 does add some features to make it easier to achieve some tasks. Public folders are one way to make sharing easier.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 7 does add some features to make it easier to achieve some tasks. Public folders are one way to make sharing easier.
    ...and more difficult to achieve some tasks it must be said; for the sake of increased security; for instance, those same Public folders have to be given permission to be shared over a network in advanced network settings. I don't really notice any "ridiculous" structuring though, Microsoft just labeled it differently in most cases and had to make some un-aesthetic arrangements to accommodate both 32-bit and native 64-bit applications.
    I don't really consider Libraries to be part of the file structure...its an organizational layer above the file hierarchy, and as such, can be very confusing because its a pseudo layer.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rfarmer View Post
    This discussion and confusion is one reason why I have avoided both Public Folders and Libraries. It's not immediately clear what they do or how the sharing works. Instead, I simply create a folder when necessary and set the permissions specifically. Then I always know what is shared and who it is shared with.
    I ran into this exact problem awhile ago. I had somehow set my "public" picure folder as default or something like that, and when I deleted pictures from the "public" folder, it would automatically delete from the \user\my pictures folder, but it was all my fault as I was trying to place files where they shouldn't go or at least when I thought they should go.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's the link to the issue I mentioned.

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-What-did-I-do

Thanks
    I have found no useful purpose for Libraries whatsoever, and don't use them in any way, shape or form. I'm looking into ways to disengage them from Windows and delete them entirely.

As this thread and many others on many other forums presents, Libraries are a large source of confusion for many people.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Bob Spafford (2012-01-09)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast