Lounger
    Thanks

Removing folders on Desktop?

Good afternoon everyone,

This may be a simple question, but I haven't been able to find a way to do it. During the installation of various programs, I have installation that put folders and .ini files onto my destop....Not Shortcuts. How do I remove this clutter (icons) from the desktop without acutally deleting the folders or files? If I right click on the icon and select delete,,,it actually deletes the folder and contents. I know, because I've tried.
    Again I only want to remove this clutter from my desktop.

I know there has to be a way to do this, but I haven't found it yet
    Thanks!
    Bill

Thanks
    Well, Bill, the .ini files can and probably Should be just deleted. For anything else, I'd create a new folder and name it whatever you like, maybe "Extra Stuff" or something. That's what I call my 'catch all' folder.
    Then when something winds up on your desktop, like a downloaded program, just drag N drop it in the catch all folder. No harm done.

That will keep your desktop clean and minimize your own frustration. Eh?

Happy Holidays!

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

WEdward2 (2011-12-01)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was going to say what DrWho said, OP, but I hesitated because, reading your post, it sounds like a dodgy installation has put its files wrongly on your desktop.

The short answer is, of course, just move them to any old folder you care to create; why not do that and see if it screws anything up?

Thanks
    ini files are a carryover from the earlier windows days where all the program configuration and option data was kept before the registry was used. Deleting them may cause the associated program to malfunction. If you truly have files and/or folders on your desktop rather than shortcuts, you can't delete the icons without deleting the contents. My favorite desktop icon management program is Fences . With fences installed you can double click on a blank area of the desktop and all your desktop icons are hidden and remain so until you double click on the desktop again when you want to see them again.

Jerry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

WEdward2 (2011-12-01)

Lounger
    Thanks

Fences

Jerry,
    Do you know if the "Fences" Software supports Multiple Monitors?

Thanks!
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    ini files are a carryover from the earlier windows days where all the program configuration and option data was kept before the registry was used. Deleting them may cause the associated program to malfunction. If you truly have files and/or folders on your desktop rather than shortcuts, you can't delete the icons without deleting the contents. My favorite desktop icon management program is Fences . With fences installed you can double click on a blank area of the desktop and all your desktop icons are hidden and remain so until you double click on the desktop again when you want to see them again.

Jerry

Thanks
    I'm not sure how well Fences works with multiple monitors. A Google search indicated it works but may not reside on the individual monitor you want. Doesn't hurt anything to try it. You can always uninstall it if it doesn't do what you want.

Jerry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

WEdward2 (2011-12-01)