Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outgoing e-mail will not go to one account

Okay. I'm using Eudora 6 for email. I know it's old, but it works. Windows XP with all updates. I have about 6 email accounts. On five, I can receive and send .. no problem. One account receives fine. But on sending, for some reason which does not show up in any of the settings, Eudora adds the local computer name ahead of the remote email server, as though the email server is on local computer. Of course it times out because it can't find the server. .. I've deleted the account from Eudora, and set it up again, but the same things happen. I'm getting frustrated. ... I guess there must be some little setting somewhere that I'm missing, but I can't see it. ... Any ideas?

Al

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    More on the Eudora story not wanting to send email by one email account. ... On an old Win98 machine (still running) I have Eudora 4.3. It WILL send emails through that same account. Near as I can tell all Eudora settings are the same as the Eudora 6 which balks at that one account (although not with any others). So it has to be something the local computer running Eudora 6. Both machines are going through the same router. I can't see anything in Zone Alarm that would block output to this email account while accepting input from it. ... Where else should I be looking?

Al

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by AlStewart View Post
    ... On an old Win98 machine (still running) I have Eudora 4.3. It WILL send emails through that same account. ... Both machines are going through the same router. I can't see anything in Zone Alarm ...
    Al,
    I want to commend you for keeping a 98 computer up and running; kind'a cute.

I am asking the following because I believe you might be looking in the wrong direction.

Are you saying that you still run ZoneAlarm on your XP SP3 machine?

What anti-virus/security system are you running?

If so then please trust me, you can (and IMHO should!) uninstall ZoneAlarm. The Windows Firewall is dependable since XP SP2.

Good luck.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Win98 has to keep going ... I have some software that is needed that works well there, and not on other systems.

As to Zone Alarm ... I have had no problems with it thus far. And it does block income and outgoing. (Although not much incoming gets by the firewall on my router.) ... I did turn off outgoing scanning from ZA, but that hasn't cured my problem. ... In addition on incoming email I am running VIPRE.

Al

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    ZoneAlarm is more than a simple network firewall. If it works for you, not only should you not remove it, but I believe you have all reasons to keep it going, if you want to minimize chances of malware attacking your system.

Regarding your problem, I don't use or know Eudora, but could an entry in the hosts file be enough to point the bad name to a good or even a good domain name?
    Last edited by ruirib; 2011-12-02 at 09:54.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll take a look. ... What has me puzzled is that Eudora can pick up email from this account/domain with no problem. It is just sending through the account. It can't find the server. Both incoming & outgoing use "mail.(domain name)" for the POP server and the SMTP server. If it can find it and work with it for incoming ... why can't it find it for outgoing. Seems like somewhere, there is some little hidden setting (not in Eudora) that is blocking it. (As I said, the problem has to be local as Eudora from the other computer has no problems sending and receiving.)

Al

Administrator
    Thanks
    I agree, it's puzzling, especially because receiving works. Very weird.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay .. I looked in the hosts file. Nothing there except 127.0.0.1 local host.

Well the tech guys from the company hosting the offending domain/server have responded finally. Maybe they have some ideas. Probably they'll say "it's not on our system, it's your problem."

Anyway, it is weird, and frustrating.

Al

Administrator
    Thanks
    My suggestion was that you add the bad server name to the hosts file, resolving to the good server IP. Like that, even when the name is wrong, the connection will still be made.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay. I'll give it a try.

Al

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried. No help.

Checked with the tech guys ... the IP# is correct that Eudora is trying to contact. Also the server name. So it seems that something somewhere internally in this machine is blocking that connection. I've turned off Zone Alarm outgoing, and turned off Vipre email scanning. Still no connection. I don't know what else might/could be blocking one item like this.

Al

Administrator
    Thanks
    Can you just shutdown both security apps for a very short time and try it like that?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Done that ... no help. Both are basically turned off. Other than uninstalling them, which I'd like to avoid, they're shut down as far as I think I can shut them down.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I don't think they are to blame, not in this so selective manner (1 of many accounts affected), but it's always better to challenge one's assertions. Can you turn on ZA's logging and check whether the server is actually contacted (or the attempt is made past the firewall)?

Also, now this may sound weird, at this stage, but you are sure the port for smtp is correct and all?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ZA logs don't show this as being blocked.

Port for smtp is set for 1025 ... it was by default set at 25 but I changed it to 1025 at request of people who run the email server. No change in what is happening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast