New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Clean Install

Hi, I've been having problems with my computer, BSOD after BSOD. I've decided to do a clean install (will backup data) and I'm stuck with a question. The computer was upgraded from XP SP3 to Windows 7 Home Premium. Recently I added a new 1 TB hard drive and had Windows 7 reinstalled by a technician. Due to some unfortunate circumstance which I believe stems from a bad WD My Book external hard drive, I started getting BSODs of all sorts. My question is, when I start the installation of Windows 7 and it prompts me for the partition to install in on, the only choice I see is E:\, no C:\. E: happens to be the original 320 GB hard drive that I left in the computer as a slave. I'd like to install it on C:\, the 1TB hard drive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Unplug the slave drive.

Zig

(BTW, I find it rather unlikely that the external drive monged your Windows install - has the system partition been removed from the original disk??)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,045 Posts
    My question is whether you shouldn't try something else, before going with a clean install. I probably would start with BlueScreenView and look at the cause of the BSODs.
    If that doesn't help, I would then consider a reinstall. This will refresh the windows installation, while keeping everything else. If that doesn't work, then you can go the clean install route.
    Be sure to backup what you already have, in any case.