Thanks

To Any TI 2010 user's !!

Make sure your Acronis True Image 2010 "Boot" disk works.

I needed to use mine for the first time a couple hrs ago and "I assume" that my burn wasn't successful ---- as it didn't work. I had to burn another at a different computer.

Just thought anyone should test there's.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Jag,
    Hello and thanks ...I use 2010 V7046 ...what version did you have problems with?
    Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    @Fred;
    I have build 7,160

I burned a new TI boot CD at a different computer and All is well --- CD worked fine. It was just a moment of Disenchantment at the macro-level when it didn't boot up properly :-)

I thought it should be a good idea to Test there Boot CD's.

Thanks
    What I do is make TWO boot DVD's every coupleof months in case one is bad.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    @Banyarola;
    Your scenario would be over the top for me but what ever makes one feel safe !!

I just think that everyone should test there Boot disk, my first burn job didn't work, second one did.

Thanks
    Well Jag, You can test your boot disk and it could be fine but Cd's and DVD's do go bad for no reason so making a couple of them and replacing them on a regular basis is not something I would consider being 'Over The Top'...

I also image to two separate hard drives in case one image is bad or one of the hard drives goes bad you always have the other..

I also burn to DVD's every couple of months in case the whole computer burns up..

When one has years of data and irreplaceable family pics etc on ones computer going 'Over The Top' is a not something you would regret doing if, and there will be an if, you need to get all that data back...

Sure, I would feel safe with one boot disk but I sure feel safer with more then one..

Thanks
    Yep, I hear you and starting agree with you :-)

I was "also" thinking about maybe using a alternate Image program to backup and to a different media.

Thanks for sharing your scenario.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you have more than one computer, this is never an issue. If you don't, testing is a must.

Thanks
    ABSOLUTELY Rurib! But, that's assuming your second computer is a twin of your main computer with all the data on it...

Jag, Everything I mentioned has happened to me except my computer burning up.
    I have had images that were bad, boot disks that didn't work for whatever reason..

I like 2010 and with the backup method I use I never found a reason to use another image program.

I image automatically every day and once a week, usually on Sunday, I delete one image and make a new backup and then delete the second image and make a backup...

I found it better that way because if you never delete the backups for fresh ones anything you UN-installed will be put back if you need to restore an image..

Also,

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banyarola View Post
    ABSOLUTELY Rurib! But, that's assuming your second computer is a twin of your main computer with all the data on it...
    Why? All you need is to have TI on both, as the boot disk has no info regarding the computer it was created in. Even if you haven't, you can always download the trial and create the boot disk.

Thanks
    Well Rurib, maybe I'm confused by what you said about the having another computer

I know the boot disk will work on any computer...

I thought you meant just by having another computer somehow that solves the problem..

I'm Soooo confused...

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you have another computer, you can use it to create the boot disk. It's that simple. I think it's how Jagworld solved his situation, too.

Thanks
    Oh, now I see what you mean..

I have TI on my laptop, which I hardly use any more..

But, I think it would be quicker to just have additional copies. But, that's just what works for me.

Thanks
    Going back 30 years, having your backup program (only) on your computer, when it goes up in smoke, is less than worthless. It must be on some external media, like a floppy disk, flash drive, CD or DVD.

Now if you have it on a CD that you make yourself, and your CD burner has drifted out of spec, due to age, etc., it may not be readable on another PC. That happened a lot, years ago, with floppy disks. I used to re-align floppy drives, so I've seen that problem, a lot.

But having said all that, once you make reliable Recovery CD's with ATI, you can actually UN-Install the program from the PC, eliminating a lot of file bloat.

I use only Ghost, both the 2003 version, for XP and the 11.5 version, for Vista, Win-7 and Win-8.
    I have many copies of both, on floppy disks (2003) and on Flash Drives, Flash Memory Cards and CD's (Ghost 11.5).

But remember, when your system has gone up in smoke, your backups must not be on that system.
    Or, worse case scenario, you come home one day to find your whole computer system GONE!
    That actually happened to me once. But all my 'stuff' was safely backed up and put in a Fireproof Vault, about 20 miles away.

Using Ghost Explorer, I was able to recover my data files off of that compressed backup and restore them to my new computer.

In setting up backup schemes, for myself and others, I try to take into account every possible eventuality.
    Most peoples' backup schemes have major (security) holes in them.

I do my own backups a little bit different than most people.
    I first do a massive cleanup on my PC, to get rid of every file that I don't need or want in my backup.
    Then I do my backup using Ghost, to whatever media I'm using at the time. Then, without ever leaving the Ghost program I run a "Check" on the backup to make sure it's viable. Then I do an immediate restore. That re-writes my C: drive, putting all the files in order, with no spaces between them and of course, NO Fragmentation. That's my "Perfect Defrag". On my XP drive, that takes me about 20 minutes, for the whole process.

It's the same process we used, years ago on big Mainframes. Backup + Restore = Defragmentation

Cheers Mates! Happy Holidays!
    The Doctor

PS: Yes, I've tried Acronis True Image, but found it seriously lacking, so I don't use it.
    Been using Ghost since 1997. Ghost Rocks!
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    @DrWho;
    Seem like we use to use an "XCOPY" DOS command string with switches back then.!!!