Thanks

Quantifying data usage by wireless connection

Consider the following scenario.

A router is connected to an ISP, and the router is accessed by a number of laptops connected wirelessly. Each one of these will be downloading and uploading an unknown amount of data during a day. The owner of the router has allowed each laptop to use its wireless network, but otherwise has no control of the data usage of any laptop.

The total amount of data downloaded and uploaded for all the wireless connections is measured by the ISP, and can be reported back to the owner of the router.

Is there any way for the router owner to measure, and additionally limit, the amount of data used by any particular laptop, by MAC address, or IP address? The router owner is interested in those laptops which are using very large amounts of data, say by using Bittorrent or downloading movies, because these are causing the monthly "data cap" to be exceeded.

I know of no router which can be set to collect data by individual wireless connection.
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Well I suppose that depending on the specific router, if the owner was kind of geeky, you could try and get some firmware update that would do it. Other than that, you could use monitoring software, such as this. It has two parts, one that runs in each monitored computer and another that can connect to each computer to have a look at its statistics. Whether this is a viable solution or not, really depends on the situation.

Thanks
    The owner of the router has allowed each laptop to use its wireless network, but otherwise has no control of the data usage of any laptop", which makes it impossible to install monitoring on any laptop, I'm afraid. The router is a high-end Draytek Vigor, and you wouldn't want to go anywhere near the firmware - at least to think of altering it!
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Yeah, I understand. In that case, I don't really see how he can monitor the traffic generated by each individual computer.