Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Cool How to build an audio reminder to take meds?

I wasn't sure how to title this thread or exactly where to put it, but here goes.

I get up in the morning and turn on my computer and usually get caught up in answering email, etc.
    Then I forget to take my morning Diabetes Med's. I wind up taking my meds around noon or even later.

So what I'm looking for is an Audio reminder, like "have you taken your med's today?" that I can set up in the task scheduler, to go off mid-morning while I'm sitting here at the PC.
    Yes, I'd actually like my PC to talk to me and remind me to take my medication.

Does anyone know of such a thing or how I might make one for myself. ???

Thank You!

The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-12-02 at 11:44.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Could you create a batch file or script that launches an MP3, and then use the Windows Task Scheduler to play it?

Thanks
    In my e-mail client calender I get reminders each day that I have set up in advance. I wonder if you could do this in GMail (I think this is what you use)

I actually take mine first thing in the morning when I get up. First thing, take meds, second thing check BG. It's become a habit. I then use an Excel spreadsheet to record results and use Microsoft Health Vault to store results on line where my PMD can check things out.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-12-02 at 12:14.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can record yourself saying the reminder with Sound Recorder, which comes with Windows (XP anyway). And a microphone. Obviously.

You can save it as a .wav file, but, if you need to, convert it to a file type that (say) Windows Media Player can play. Plenty of tools around for that - this is my favourite. Then, as you say, set up a scheduled task.

Thanks
    Ok, I made a little batch file and saved it in My Documents. Then I accessed the task scheduler and pointed it to that batch file. It should work. So far I am just using a sound effect. I have yet to record a meaningful message. That can come later.

Thanks for all your help.

Case Closed!

Happy Holidays Everyone!
    The Doctor

Thanks
    You could replace your operating system's "start up" sound with a short recorded message. That would be the simplest method.

You would need a simple microphone or a recording of yourself downloaded to your computer and converted to an acceptable
    format that Window's sounds would accept.

Example:
    "Take your Haloperidol now".
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-12-02 at 18:46.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    "Take your Haloperidol now".
    Good burn!
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Pentium E2180 dual core @2.00 GHz 4GB Ram Win7 64 bit

Star Lounger E Pericoloso Sporgersi's Avatar
    Thanks

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    ... an Audio reminder, like "have you taken your med's today?" ...
    IDEA.GIF Maybe your telephone operator has a daily recurring wake up call service, maybe even for free.

Or google for automatic wake up call (free). callme.gif (I've had several hits in the US)
    Last edited by E Pericoloso Sporgersi; 2011-12-03 at 08:26.
    E Pericoloso Sporgersi
    "It is Dangerous to Lean Out! [of Windows]"

Thanks
    Maybe if this were 1943 that might be possible, but we've not had real telephone operators here in decades. Nice thought though.

I did create a little batch file, to play a .wav file and I put it in the Task Manager folder, but.....
    I get an error message:

The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed; therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account information existed for the task.
    The specific error is:
    0x8004130f: No account information could be found in the Task Scheduler security database for the task indicated.

What security database? What account information? Never heard of such a thing!
    Oh well, it was a good try.

I just need to get my head together and remember to take my meds the first thing in the morning.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
    The Doctor

Star Lounger E Pericoloso Sporgersi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    ... I just need to get my head together and remember to take my meds the first thing in the morning. ...
    There's also coffee cups that play a tune when you lift them off the table ...
    or a sticky note on the door of the head ...
    E Pericoloso Sporgersi
    "It is Dangerous to Lean Out! [of Windows]"

Thanks
    Like I said Dr, do it when you get up while preparing your coffee. Ir took me a while, but ultimately now I feel something is wrong if I don't.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Technology can be quite enabling when you find the right solution. My wife and I share calendars through our smartphones, but you don't need a smartphone to enable this technique.

We have separate gmail accounts; mine is also setup in Outlook. I use a sync tool to connect my Outlook calendar to my Gmail calendar. Furthermore we have both configured SMS text alerts from our gmail calendars to our phones.

When I enter an appointment in Outlook it is synced to my Gmail calendar and is shared with my wife. Our phones both pickup the the appointment so we have a mobile shared and synced copy of our diaries too. We can both make appointments on our phones and these are synced and shared across both phones and my Outlook.

When an appointment comes up we get a free SMS text from Google to remind us and if Outlook is open it chimes too.

It's not quite the PC speaking to us, but a busy family life balanced against our separate work schedules is made much easier.

Thanks
    I think you have also forgotten to take your 'memory pills' Why not keep your medication next to your pc.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Hey Doc,

Off topic. First of all thanks for reminding me of something which runs all the time!, I found this rogue in my task scheduler, fortunately it removed itself using control panel. Note how often it wants to update itself though! (Seems CPU-Z installed it)

ts1.PNG

Back on topic, do you need to use a batch file? I linked directly to an MP3 file which plays as scheduled under W7.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joining the 21st century and letting a reminder widget do the work is probably asking too much?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast