Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation How to save multiple Windows images?

I have made a windows image on my external 2TB hard drive. When I make another windows image my original image is replaced by the new image. I certainly have enough hard drive space available. How do I save several images without deleting my original image?
    Thanks, Erika

Thanks
    @Erika;
    I found this some time ago and don't remember where but here you go:

If you want to keep multiple system image versions on the same drive or partition, then you can then do the steps below before creating a new system image to be able to keep them all together.

1. Navigate to the location of where you saved the created system image that you want to keep before creating a new system image. (see above)

2. Right click on the WindowsImageBackup folder and click on Rename.

3. Rename it to something like WindowsImageBackup-Copy-1 and press enter.

NOTE: This way you can just easily change the 1 an the end of the name to 2, 3, 4, etc... for each new system image that you make a copy of.

4. You now have 1 image that you can leave at this location or move to another location..

NOTE: If you renamed the WindowsImageBackup folder, then you must rename this renamed folder back to WindowsImageBackup in order to be able to restore the image.

If you moved the renamed WindowsImageBackup folder, then in addition to the above, you will also need to rename any other WindowsImageBackup folder at the original location before moving it back to the original location,.

Thanks
    Erika, Welcome to the lounge.

Just wish to add my 2 cents here. Win 7 Backup and Restore has had mixed results. It is a pretty basic Imaging app. You might want to consider one of the full featured apps mentioned in this forum. There are several excellent apps which will fill your needs and are much more full featured than the basic Win 7 app.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

mart44
    No mixed results here Ted. I'm a big fan of Windows 7 disk imaging. It is a great built-in function that has proved very reliable over the numerous times I've used it. Never a failure or glitch. From reading threads and going by my own experience, it seems to me it's the other solutions that can have the mixed results. I used Acronis on XP where images could be explored, files extracted etc. but when my version of Acronis wouldn't work with Windows 7, I asked myself how often those extra functions had been needed. The answer was "not much". Hence the reason for finding Windows 7 disk imaging quite adequate.

I used a system of folders for storing multiple images up until a while ago, then I read of the above method. The renaming of the WindowsImageBackup folder after the making of the image is a better way of storing multiple images.
    Last edited by mart44; 2011-12-03 at 02:43. Reason: typo

Thanks
    I also made a few backups w/win7 backup at first with pure optimism but once needed--- it didn't work.

IMO, I did some searching/reading and decided to get Acronis TI 2010 and have never looked back.

Thanks
    As I have said previously in other threads, Win 7 does work fine for some people. For others though, it is too limited or has problems as Jagworld mentions. I also tried the Win 7 app prior to switching to Acronis. After using Acronis for a while I realized what others had already said, that although Win 7 seems to work fine for some, it's limited feature set and limited ability to differentiate particular files from whole Image restoration make it a lower tiered choice for me and many others.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

mart44
    Agreed, a lower tiered choice because it doesn't have the extra features but that doesn't make it a second-rate solution for making straight disk images ..if that's all that people want. Can I make the point once in a while that I think Windows disk imaging is good, much as others do with their preferred solutions?

Thanks
    You just did and I thank you for your opinion. I was just attempting to differentiate between the apps to show why those of us that have switched did switch.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Jagworld. I will try your suggestion.
    Erika

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Erika,

PMFJI, but be sure you do a trial of Acronis before shelling out money for it. Many here swear by it, but others (myself included) swear at it (you should check out the user forums). If it works, fine (I have 3 copies of Acronis 2010 available at a good price, if you can't find it ). Note that many have problems with ATI 2011 & 2012.
    My own solution is EaseUS Todo Backup Free v.3.5; it has more options than Acronis or Macrium free, and it works well for me (but not, apparently, for Ted M.); it's worth a try, as the price is certainly right.

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2011-12-04 at 00:38.

Thanks
    Each system will be diferrent. I did try EaseUS ToDo 3.5 and had a rather bad experience. I detailed my experiences here and had a rather lively discussion going on. I do use Acronis, both 2010 and 2011 and have had great experiences with both versions.

I guess the best advice is to try several and see what works best for you.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Good response TM:
    Last edited by Jagworld; 2011-12-04 at 07:40.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jag,
    My copies of ATI are never used, never registered; I don't need you to tell me what's honest. They're bought & paid for. Since you're such an expert on computer matters, you should know that "PMFJI' isn't a handle, it means "Pardon me for jumping in."

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2011-12-04 at 00:44.

Thanks
    @Zig;
    No, I don't know 90% of the Internet Slang or acronyms used around the world, I apologize.
    I'll delete or blank out the post.

I don't want to use these forums or others to argue about anything.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Personally I no longer consider TI the clear option it used to be. I have bought and upgraded to every version since TI 8. Everything was rather smooth until TI 2011. On my PCs, the thing slowed down to a crawl, effectively taking the double amount of time to backup when compared with TI 2010. There were some other obvious UI errors (although not performance affecting) and that left me wondering how was it possible for a company with such a popular product to have so poor quality control. When 2012 came out, I read what users wrote about it and it really doesn't seem the problems with 2011 have been sorted satisfactorily.

So, my TI 2010 is good for Windows 7 and I will keep using it while I can. When the time comes to consider a new option, I will check the free options, like Macrium Reflect or EaseUS Todo Backup. Again, this is my personal opinion, but right now I seriously doubt that I will ever go back to TI. Seems they really wrecked what was the best product in its class and that has served me well since 2005.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast