Thanks

XP shows 3.24 gig memory but 8 gigs sure made it faster :-)

Just thought I'd share !!

I was satisfied with the speed my XP Pro and even speed of the fairly new WIN 7 (64bit) install with my 4 gigs of DDR3. I have a decent video card I think w/512 mem.

I guess it was the fact that I knew I could install more RAM in my MoBo and win 7 would use it, so I bought an 8 gig upgrade from Crucial and very satisfied of the outcome.

XP only shows 3.24 but got noticeably faster.
    Last edited by Jagworld; 2011-12-03 at 09:24. Reason: typo

Thanks
    I don't know the inner working of why this phenonenum happened, but good for you. When I added another 4 GB (total of 8 GB here as well, maxed out on my PC) I see a noticable speed up when running multiple apps, but very little difference when just doing basic stuff. I guess I expected this. I do load the Win 7 kernel into Ram so this helps as well. For the cost, Ram seems to be a very good upgrade.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    TM, remember when ram was a dollar a meg? I do!

32 bit Windows can't use more than the 3+ gigs mentioned, but some programs do have that ability.

And yes, just tweaking the registry, so that the Kernel loads into ram on boot, can greatly speed up
    Windows. Accessing ram is many times faster than accessing the same information on the hard drive.

I've listed that tweak on my web page, for years now. That was an old Windows XP tweak that still works.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Yes, like I said some things do get better over time and the cost of Ram has. My 8 GB (2 x 4GB) chips were less than $150 (Corsair was a little less than Crucial, I would not buy Kingston at this time)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    How do you tweak the registry to load the kernel into RAM ? And, how much RAM is used by having the Kernel load there?

I would like to try that.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Re Kernel in Memory: here is Tweakhounds guide: http://tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/supertweaks11.htm

Look about half way down the page in the Disable Paging of Kernel and Large System Cache sections

**Please observe the comments at the top of that page, and specifically on this particular tweak, in the body of the article about forcing the Kernel to RAM.

Having not tested these tweaks, I have no view either way - some articles swear by it, others suggest it does nothing except under heavy load. A search of Google for diagnostic measurements on these tweaks seems to suggest there are is little hard data either way.

Be sure to backup your system and registry before making any changes.

Thanks
    Bany, Here is the method:

1) Open the regedit tool (Start -> Run -> regedit.exe )

2) Use the navigation in the left and go to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

3) Double click the DisablePagingExecutive attribute, and put 1 in the decimal value field
    This will make the drivers and the XP kernel run in memory.

4) Double click the LargeSystemCache attribute, and put 1 in the decimal value field
    This will improve performance of the kernel

This method is detailed in many areas of the web. I hope this helps you.

Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    ...and if you get a chance to test with and without the changes, it would be very interesting to see your results.

Logically, the kernel should be in ram in almost all circumstances anyway {as per the comment in the tweakhound guides above}. However, when I look at articles posted in various blogs and other places, I observe a fair number of people saying it makes a real difference - the difficulty I found was finding any data to support either position.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    (...)

I observe a fair number of people saying it makes a real difference - the difficulty I found was finding any data to support either position.
    That's the real issue. My own personal perception is that many of these tweaks have a minimal impact on real performance, to be honest. These two posted by Ted used to have a small but noticeable impact on XP (at least it seemed so to me). I remember that when I upgraded my laptop to 7, I tried them and I couldn't really see any perceived impact. My impression (please take notice that it is an impression) is that 7 is a different kind of animal and some of the old XP tweaks no longer have the effect they used to have.

Of course, as you correctly put it, to establish the improvements beyond any doubt, a benchmark of sorts would be needed - a defined set of activities, involving different apps, with measures regarding time needed to complete them, with and without the changes. I have never seen that.