Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Hangs. Intuit Data Protect At Fault?

A couple of times a month, my PC will become non-responsive. The on-screen clock gadget isn't running, and I can't do anything except perform a cold reboot with the power button.

Every time this happens, upon reboot I get a dialog saying there was an unexpected interruption of my Intuit Data Protect online backup. It asks if I want to resume the backup. The few times I've chosen to resume the backup, the computer soon crashes again. I learned after two or three experiences like that to always decline to resume the backup.

Can this be coincidence? Is the problem necessarily the Intuit Data Protect backup software? (They sent me an update but it didn't help.) Can it be a problem elsewhere? My online backup runs daily, but the computer crashes only once or twice a month. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms?

Thanks!
    Bill
    Bill Treloar
    Rank Magic Blog

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bill, I haven't had the problem that you describe. I did have random system hangs when I used some Intuit "cloud" services. Notably anything that used their sync applet. Very recently, IE9 (my default browser) hangs on certain pages of the Payment Services site. QB uses the default IE browser for perfoming those same tasks within QB, resulting in that task hanging and IE also being unresponsive until QB stops trying to reach the page.

So, while you can't rule out a problem elsewhere, like a file locked by another program, causing a timeout, the program should anticipate those problems and have a graceful exit. IMHO, Intuit is the problem, though they will do everything they can to obfuscate.
    Don
    Windows 7 64bit, Intel Core2 Quad 2.4 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, nVidia 9500 GT, 1230 GB HD

Thanks
    Have a look in the Windows event viewer to see if you can obtain a more detailed view of the error message;
    eventvwr.msc